Current Disk Drive Technology Still Has Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Disk Drive Technology Still Has Life

I've seen previous posts about new technologies that may soon replace the types of storage drives we have. Here's a news release from the company I work for that may be of interest...
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000330/ca_read_ri_1.html
    We make the magnetic heads that read and write the data onto the spinnig disks. We sell to drive makers such as Maxtor, Quantum, WD, Samsung, and Iomega (zips). In brief, we've just demonstrated a storage density of 50 gigabits per sq in. (about 70 gigbytes on one platter). As a point of reference, the data density of the heads in drives on the market today have about 4 gigabits sq in capability -- there's typically 2 to 4 platters in each drive.
    These new types of heads will probably be in disk drives in about 18 -24 months.

Also, the data transfer rates are still improving. Here's another article on that: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000210/ca_read_ri_1.html

You'll soon be able to transfer a 2 1/2 hr movie (4.5 GB) in less than 1 minute.
    My rig: P4 3.0GHz; Asus P4C800E; 1GB DDR 3200; AIW Radeon 9800 Pro; WD 120GB SATA; Plextor DVD burner; Liteon DVD reader; Audigy 2ZS; Logitech Z560 4.1; NEC FE991SB

Kid's rig: AMD XP 1600+; 512MB ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 60GB; Plextor CD burner; Sony DVD reader; SB Live; Cambridge 4.1 speakers; NEC FE991SB

Other kid's rig: Athlon 2700+; ASUS A7N8X mobo; 512MB PC3200 ram; GF4 Ti4600; Maxtor 80GB; SB Live; Cambridge 2.1; NEC FE991SB; Liteon DVD-ROM

Okay, and how long does it take to defrag such a 70Gb hdd?? Please measured in lifetimes

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

LOL jord,

6 posts to go!

[This message has been edited by Paddy [MU] (edited 01 April 2000).]
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

multiply those lifetimes by 100, Jorden

Comment

Working...
        X