Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe i'm a little slow... or Gamespot.com REALLY screwed up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe i'm a little slow... or Gamespot.com REALLY screwed up!

http://www.gamespot.com/features/bui...eed/race2.html

They list the scores from slowest to fastest??? (in that 32bit testing, the G400MAX(default clock) was only beaten by the 190mhz TNT2U) They fail to include the G400 MAX in the graph???

Am I missing something?
    hi

I think they're smokin crack.... That's just me though....

Dimitri
    "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed"
    --- Albert Einstein

"Drag racing is for people that don't know how to brake and downshift at the same time."

Comment

Of course the MAX scores slow seeing that, that test is kind of old, they're using a SE440BX-2 mobo, nobody used it on a test rig in a long time.
      I remember that review coming out just prior to Hercule's demise so I don't know how good the drivers for the G400 were back then.
      Anyway, looking at what values the TNT2Ultra was clocked and looking at the small differences in framerates between it and the MAX they should seem right for that time

Here's what he said about it:

"Matrox Millenium G400 Max
      The G400 Max proved to be a pleasant surprise. Although the GameGauge score came in at just under the halfway point, that's a little deceptive. What brought the Matrox score down was its poor OpenGL ICD. Most of the Direct3D scores, with the exception of Unreal, trailed the faster TNT2 and Voodoo3 boards by only a small margin. The color saturation during our game tests were rich and lovely to look at. The G400 also supports environmental bump-mapping. The anime robot in Slave Zero looks simply fabulous on the G400.
      The new incarnation of the Millenium (no more Mystiques from Matrox) also offers dual monitor or simultaneous TV/monitor support. If you hook up a TV, you can use it to display DVD movies independent of the computer monitor. The refresh rate of the monitor is also independent of the TV.

While having a second computer monitor is a nice idea, it's somewhat limited in 3D games. Only a couple of games support separate 3D windows, and performance on the second display suffers.

Speaking of performance, the z-buffer runs asynchronously of the color depth. This simply means that a game needs to specify 32-bit z if it wants higher-precision depth sorting. The current OpenGL driver only supports a 16-bit z-buffer.

My initial excitement over the board is somewhat tempered by its poor OpenGL performance. If Matrox can bring the ICD up to snuff, I'll like this board a lot better."
      http://www.gamespot.com/features/bui...reviews14.html

So don't jump in and flame him just because you're with the Tom's Hardware and Tresh's Firing Squad hype.

Their last review of a Matrox board was of a G400 Marvel and they were one of the first in making it.
      In general they don't speak bad of Matrox products, so give them a break

Comment

Working...
      X