X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damnit I do stupid things sometimes!

Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! SOB!!

Here a story of what NOT to do:

I have been waiting impatiently for Ultima IX Ascension to be released in Denmark. As you might know this game was originally released in the States an in some European countries (Germany I think), back in december last year. But before it reached the shelves in DK, Origin pulled it back due to a staggering amount of D3D problems. Anyway after development of several patches, it was finally released in Denmark (ver. 1.18f) yesterday. I had of course been haunting my local game-pusher for months plaguing them (in fact begging them) to push for a release.

When I saw the game one shelf yesterday, I imediatly bought it and ran all the way home (tears running down my face, shouting "I have it").

Unfortunatly some ancient curse laid upon my family name eons ago set in, when I installed the game and ran it the first time. IT CRASHED IN HORROR!!! Some error in the Directx DDhelper I think. Having tried several different driver installs and read the various readme text files to no avail, I did a really STUPID thing.

I went down to my local hardware-pusher and bought a Asus AGP-V3800Magic TNT2 M64 16Mb graphics adapter. Big mistake! (I can already hear the cries: Burn the heretic!!!).

My joy would take no end when I installed the card and was able to play this great game by Origin. Having run the game at 640*480 on my G200, I wanted to see if my new card would perform better at higher resolutions and color depth. The dissapointment was overwhelming as I quickly discovered that my new card slowed to a slump when running in 32bit color. The graphics in D3D was more jerky than a 1000 eppeleptics (hope I spelled it right) having a simultanious fit. Damnit it was slow!

After banging my head hard against my monitor for being such a dumb-ass I deceided to return the card and get the only real upgrade from a G200. The great and omnious G400!!! (bowing head in humble respect, begging forgiveness of the Gods of the big M. As it wasn't in stock I will have to wait a few days to get it...

End of story!

Regards,

Jake
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Don't be too hard on yourself... You didn't buy the G400 the FIRST time around because it wasn't in stock. That's all, right? But why did you buy that card? Ultima IX works better with a Voodoo based card... At least all the reviews I've seen say so. Anyway, it gives you a good excuse to upgrade to a G400, right?
    McRhea

Comment

Hope you didn't damage your head or monitor with that head-banging... Advice: Use a hard wall next time, not your monitor, before you know it it's costing you in band-aids and a new monitor, whereas an interaction with a wall costs you less for the aspirin and the band-aids

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

I replaced my old G200 with an ATI Rage Fury. Talk about stupid! I've ranted and raved about the Fury's drivers causing lockups in Notepad more than enough times on these forums. (Notepad! How bad can you get?)Needless to say, I was punished very severely by the computer gods.

I paid full price for the damn thing as well.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 24 March 2000).]

Comment

The only Vid card mistake i made was with my VoodooBanshee. I mean, i was upgrading from a trident 1meg at the time, so it wasent THAT bad, and it was ony $100 new. It served me well, i guess. But when i got my G400, WHEW!

I was just happy to play 3d accelerated Q2 w/ the banshee. i didnt even give a S**t about fps at that time...

Comment

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.

Jorden,

Are you speaking from experience or is that simple reasoning? I'm not so sure that if anything would brake, that my monitor would be the damaged item. This venerable piece of hardware is by far the oldest component in my system. My 17" Hitachi 17MVX Value has served me well since I bought it back in 1994. At the neat price of $1000. (Very cheap for a 17" monitor at the time).

And I allways keep band-aid around the house. I have a tendency to cut myself to a bloody pulp when messing around with sharp items like my computer case...

Regards,

Jake
            ----------------------
            Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Experience, Jake.

Trust me.

(Send flowers when you find my remains, people, 'k....? 'Cause he is going to kill me, but how oh how could I pass up such a straight line???!!!)

Comment

Hi Jake

Just a little advise from a fellow dane
                Order your card online from proconsult and you will have your wonderful G400 in 1 or 2 days.
                Bought mine there last summer, as one of the first in DK

Comment

Thanks Zaphod. (What does that mean anyway?)

I prefer to buy from my local hardware pusher, even though he is a bit more expensive. Why? Well, his refund and warrenty policy is very good. He even let me keep the TNT2 until he gets my G400 DH 32Mb today (I hope).

Regards,

Jake
                  ----------------------

Comment

Jake, Zaphod's name is from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy....Zaphod Beeblebrox, the two headed guy
                    Cool series on BBC a while back....wow I AM getting old.....

-Dil
                    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Gee, <u>Hitchhiker</u> names seem to be popular around here... I wonder why?

Comment

Does that mean I'm not that strange for once asking an old girlfriend to change her name to Trillian (sorry if it's badly spelled, read the books many years ago)? Strange maybe still just not that strange?!

I should get back to getting the new box working, just procrastinating because I don't want to deal with the VIA chipset stuff. Oh well a few more WUs/day, when it's not doing video editing won't hurt our standings .

Mark F.

------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                        and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                        and burped out a movie

Comment

I GOT MY G400!!
                          I GOT MY G400!!
                          I GOT MY G400!!
                          I GOT MY G400!!
                          (fainting, chair tippin over hitting back of head severly, getting back up, resuming writing)

It's a dualhead 32Mb. I love it. Just bought EA Superbike 2000. After having testet my new card this game recommends a resolution of 1152*854!!! And it runs smooooth! And so does U9 at 32 bit! And I haven't even overclocked it yet! And This card is a bad MUTHA! GAAAAAAHHHH! (taking medication to relax)

bye, bye nVidia!

Well no time to write. MUST PLAY U9!

cheers,

Jake
                          ----------------------

Comment

Congratulations on the good choice of hitting your head on the floor this time, Jake

Oh, and the G400 ofcourse !!

I'll be emailing you some more band-aids soon.

Jord.
                            When I chose to go out
                            I always leave the light on
                            when I have to stay in,
                            you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
                            now that I'm living on my own,
                            and while they've never been more right,
                            can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

Working...
                            X