I satisfied my upgrade urge finally.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I satisfied my upgrade urge finally.

I did it, I have no money now, but a damn fine computer I must say . Bought 2 Seagate 18.2GB Cheeetazzzzz, and a new sound card, the SB Live! was getting long in the tooth. I wonder how long this setup will last. And why didn't I go with Ultra160 Drives and a new controller. The world is a mad place indeed.

------------------
    PIII 650E at 805Mhz, G400Max, Asus P3B-F (ain't none better!), 384MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.
    PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

How long it will last is up to you.

No limit to the "gee whiz" hardware out there but after awhile, it will either be a money issue or you become content with what you got. May take years, but it does happen.

Congrats on your new system!

--------------------------------------------
    Like I've said before, constant upgrading can be like making love in the sand, you don't want to stop but you have too.

------------------
    ASUS P2B-LS*P III 500*256MB ECC RAM*Cheetah LVD*Barracuda UW*DiamondMAX IDE*Plextor Ultraplex 40max/Plexwriter 12/4/32*Hitachi IDE DVD*SB Live*3Com Courier V.*Hollywood +*Win 98SE, Win 2000*

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 28 March 2000).]
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

I know the feeling, just bought a WebCam Go and now I am wondering what to do with it.
      (I did want a webcam to go along with my new DSL connection and it seemed to fit the bill with extras)

Comment

Upgrade urge be satisfied for gods sake.
        Yesterday I put in the last card my system could take.
        Now this is extremely nasty, I need one more slot!!!

ASUS P2B-F

G400
        3COM 10/100
        Adaptec #1
        Adaptec #2
        SBLive
        WinTV
        ISDN

Quite some IRQ Sharing but still running stable.

Hey, I have one DIMM slot left to fill.

Anyone interested in a PCI to DIMM bridge?

Exhausted, Alegria

------------------
        The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
        Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Comment

and hope the IRQ sharing Gods smile upon you when you do fill all those slots.
          ---------------------------------------------

"Charlie stole the handle, and the train won't stop goin...no way to slow down"
          Jethro Tull

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 29 March 2000).]
          MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

Alegria - are you kidding? I can't even imagine what that all means.

I have to be content with the fact that I changed my order for 1 stick of Crucial PC133 CAS 2 to an order for 2 sticks of Crucial PC133 CAS 2...

I should have them today!!!!
            PIII 550@605
            IWill Motherboard VD133
            VIA Chipset
            512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
            G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
            DirectX 8.0a
            SB Live! Value
            8x DVD (Toshiba)
            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
            Intel Pro/100+ NIC
            3Com CMX Cable Modem
            Optiquest V95 19"
            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
            Microtek flatbed scanner
            Intellimouse Explorer
            Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
            AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

A friend of mine from work just built a new system from scratch, spent over $5,000.00 mainly due to his insistance of having an 18" LCD screen that costed him close to $3000.00 to find out that DVD payback on LCD's is crap due to pixel latencies. He's not happy, but that's what I call an upgrade from a 386 to a PIII 700E and everything else of the most expensive he could find. But my system is still way faster
              PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

To be honest folks, the only "Computer" I own that does in fact have 64 Bit PCI support is my Digital Equipment Alpha Workstation. It does not suffer from limited IRQs and never does IRQ sharing at all like my ASUS/PIII combo. Unfortunately it is a little bit more expensive than a couple of some well-equipped Wintel-PCs. It's a quite good CAD-performer and a almost "no-games" machine. BTW did you know that AMD's Athlon uses the Alpha's EV6 Bus protocol? Yeah, Alphas are great processors! Free beer on the upcoming new Athlon boards.

Alegria

------------------
                Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Comment

I just soldered a PCI-to-PCI-to-DIMM bridge on my experimental DIMM-Slot-Enhancement-Daughtercard together with another 256MB DIMM. With my self-programmed BIOS extension I can now have another 4 Virtual Hardware IRQs to map to another 4 PCI devices. It needs an external PCI backplane though and there's a lot of flat ribbon cables hanging around. But guess what, now I have 4 additional 66MHz 64Bit PCI slots for my RAID controllers left. This runs like hell...

Dare to invent the impossible, Alegria

------------------
                  Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Comment

Working...
                  X