Audio-Video Sync Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio-Video Sync Problems

I'm a Matrox newbie, having recently purchased an G400-TV board and still struggling with config and set-up issues. Latest I've come across is that the audio is out of sync with video captured via the card. From messages in the forum and the readme file suplied with the card I've deduced it might be a sound card/Win 98 WDM driver problem, but I can't figure out the solution. Fixes seem to revolve around removing the WDM sound driver, but I can't see any such driver listed in the hardware panel under Systems in the Win98 control panel. Is there something else to try?

I'm runnning a Dell PII450 with Win98SE and a Turtle Beach Montego soundcard (about 18 mths old). I've got the latest drivers for the card from Dell. Am I better off upgrading the card, and if so to what? There's a somewhat cryptic FAQ on this site recommending cards with "non-compliant WDM drivers", but which ones are they. Help please!!

Daniel

Hi,

Your soundcard should be fine, I have one my self..well it's the montego II but basically the same.

Check out the FAQ's where it says, after you capture your clip open Ulead and convert the frame rate to (NTSC 29.97 or PAL 25)

Does the audio lag appear right away or does it take a while to shift?

Regards,
    Elie

[This message has been edited by Elie (edited 11 February 2000).]

Comment

The problem is caused by hardware that is not perfect in time. You should try AVI_IO (it's shareware). I think there will be no sync problem with this software.

Comment

Daniel,

try changing the settings for your audio when you record (8bits, 16 bits, 22KHz, 44 KHz, ...). I had this problem with my WDM audio drivers, and I'm pretty sure one of the combinations worked fine. I think it was 16bits, 22KHz (or 44kHz?).

Sandman.

Comment

This is a reply for Ellie

Lag appears after a while (it's noticeable after about 5 mins). I've seen the FAQ about conversion using Ulead, but I don't have Ulead - All I've got it Avid, supplied in the software bundle with the card. Which ULuad product do I need? Will the same approach work with Adobe Premiere (by the way is Permiere better than Ulead)?

Thanks your advice.

Daniel

Comment

This is a reply for Sandman

Thanks for your advice, but WHERE do I change the audio capture setting as you suggest? I can't see anything like this in PC-VCR. Do you mean using Win98 sound recorder? If you know the setting you have works, would you mind checking for me exactly what the setting is, so I can set mine to the same. Thanks.

Comment

Daniel,

Having used both MediaStudio 5.2VE and Premiere 5.1, MediaStudio wins hands down.

The popularity of Premiere is due to historical reasons, since the graphic apps were better in those rotten apples first, and they were used by "artistical" persons (to whom the looks of the equipment is one of the most important issue ).

The PC:s were used by persons, who wanted to control things by themselves, and that is the major difference between the two programs as well.
              MediaStudio gives you better control, and information than Premiere.

I haven't seen the MSP6 yet, but I hear it will be THE winner.

Comment

Hi.
                I am new to this forum (been lurking for some time now ).
                This is an answer to Daniel, regarding the A/V sync problems and Premiere.
                Whenever you capture, the frame rate is not
                always exact. For instance, you ask for 25 f/s and it turns out to be 24.991 or 25.003 etc.
                So, all you have to do is to capture, then select the captured file in Windows Explorer and check its properties | details. Under video format it will state the exact frame rate of the capture.
                So, you import the file into premiere and having it selected you call File | Interpret footage.
                In this dialog you should check Assume this Frame Rate and fill in the f/s your capture really has.
                That will eliminate the sync problems in premiere.

Hope this helped you

pwei

Comment

Hi.
                  always exact. For instance, you ask for 25 f/s and it turns out to be 24.991 or 25.003 etc.
                  So, all you have to do is to capture, then select the captured file in Windows Explorer and check its properties | details. Under video format it will state the exact frame rate of the capture.
                  So, you import the file into premiere and having it selected you call File | Interpret footage.
                  In this dialog you should check Assume this Frame Rate and fill in the f/s your capture really has.

Hope this helped you

pwei

Comment

Hi.

Hope this helped you

pwei

Comment

Working...
                    X