Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas?

Hey All, has anyone ever seen this kind of problem before? This guy seems to think PowerDesk has a memory leak.
    http://www.roundsparrow.com/MatroxProblem/

Thanks,
    Frank

HI - I'm the guy, I am trying to spread info on the problem to get it solved.

Stephen Gutknecht - Renton, WA.

Comment

By those screen shots, I would suspect overheating, overclocking too much, or faulty RAM on the video card.
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hmm, I've quite the same problem with my G200. Screen corruption & stuff, freezes.

I never had these problems with PD5.06/5.07, you might want to test it but I don't know how it behaves on the G400.

I'm using PD5.33 once more, after I had crashes with 5.06 and I found out the card was running quite hot (even with an extra fan blowing between cards) The card has now active cooling, I did a SFC /purgecache (effectivly re-installing the Win2K system files) and re-installed SP1 and the system ran fine with PD5.06. Since I didn't have the fan attached while using PD5.33, overheating might have caused the problems.

Well, we shall see. If my system freezes or whatever, I know for sure it's not because of overheating. Until now, I don't have problems with PD5.33...

Stephen, you might want to post the URL on the Matrox Forum as well.

[addon]
        I recall ZDNet's WinBench has very GDI-intensive tests. We might try running that in loops to see if things crash.
        [/addon]

[This message has been edited by Randy Simons (edited 22 February 2001).]

Comment

It just happened again, the screen becomes all messed up. Even switching to full-screen console and back won't fix the problem, I had te reboot. What's more, even the "it's now save to turn of your computer" display suffered the same problem.

I'm NOT overclocking, and the chip is cool due to active cooling. In fact, I can overclock the chip quite a bit if I want to.

Looks to me like the memory clock settings or chip core settings are changed somehow.

Comment

i have similar problems, here is my setup:

amd tbird 800
            256ram
            asus a7v mobo (with latest bios update) and latest via 4-in-1 drivers
            matrox g400 agp DH used as single head + sony 17" @85Hz
            matrox g200 pci + sony 17" @ 75"

both running on 1280x1024

i am using w2k and PD 533, i can both set them up without any problems, but when make extensive use of teh g200 than that one crashes ... it just freezes the machine and i need to reboot or it gives small small scanlines and such. It looks like the card cant follow, when i for example scroll really fast trough mail folders or so ...

any idea about this ?

Comment

I had a virtually identical problem with the vertical stripes and corruption with the very first G400 I was sent to review, the only difference was it only occured when using a 3D app. This turned out to be a hardware problem and I had to get the board replaced.

[This message has been edited by Ant (edited 02 March 2001).]

Comment

It happened to me too.

I am using a Pentium III 800, ASUS CUSL2 and Marvel G200.
                I updated the bios of the motherboard and of the Marvel. The marvel is not overclocked (I checked). I have everything up to date and when I install the Powerdesk 5.33 that thing happens to the screen quite frequently (2 or tree times per day). I had to uninstall the drivers and revert to the default window2000 driver. Everything is running smooth right now for quite some days. If i install the Powerdesk it freezes in that same day. So I am quite sure the problem is in the drivers. What can we do, or what sould we do?

Miguel

Comment

Hi Stephen,

I actually have the same problem....had it ever since I've bought my G400 Max...I only get the random hang now and again...usually after handling many many (several hundreds) small (50-100KB) graphics files. I've basically disabled my AGP2X and used the matrox tweak program to set it to AGP1X and that typically solves the multicoloured screen line mess-ups. I used to get a crosshatching of multicoloured fine lines that would ultimately freeze the whole computer as well, although, like you I found that the courser screen hangs typically don't hang the whole machine.

Stressing the computer..either running games, with dual head enabled in the driver settings, and graphics editing/veiwing typically speed up the time it takes to hang. Winamp continues to play despite the hang

These problems occur on Win98 SE AND WIN2K as I have had both OS's on this computer. I have found this problem is also not motherboard model specific nor is it platform specific as I have seen the same problem when I had a PII 300 running on an ABIT BH6 and an ABIT BE6 motherboard, although I have only used ABIT motherboards to date and thus cannot rule out the BRAND of the motherboard. RAM modules/brands have been changed many times since I have had the G400 so I don't think the RAM is to blame.

I have used ALL of Matrox's Win2k drivers and most of their Win98 drivers (up until 6mo ago when I switched over to Win2K). It's only a matter of time after install that the problem occurs...so I default disable the AGP 2X now.

My system config is:
                  Athlon Thunderbird 800 NOT overclocked and using an ALPHA PAL6035 heatsink (so it definitely isn't overheating!!)
                  512 MB ram--running at bios setting CAS3 and slowest timing(CAS2 RAM, but just to be on the safe side)
                  G400MAX
                  Rainbow Runner-G (PCI slot 1)
                  ABIT KT100 RAID
                  Adaptec 2490 UW scsi (PCI slot 3) with 1 Quantum 4.2G HD, 1 IBM 4.2HD and 1 External Yamaha 8824 burner
                  IDE RAID100 Disabled
                  ATA66 ENABLED with 1 24XCDROM, 1 1XDVD ROM, 1 Panasonic ZIP Drive and 1 IBM Deskstar 45GB HD
                  Adaptec 64bit Ethernet Card (PCI slot 2)
                  Sound Blaster Live! (PCI slot 5)

Comment

I don´t know if this might help. I´ve seen many of you are running Athlons. I had a similar problem under W2K and that link solved it.

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000...06/default.asp

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Dooban (edited 28 April 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                    X