A problems straight from hell...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A problems straight from hell...

'kay... I swear, I didn't do ANYTHING... and this is what I get for thanks...!

So, I've was running the beta Powerdesk drivers with the Beta Video Tools for, oh, since they were released under W2k, with no problems (other than the very obviously beta state of the video tools <smile>).

Today, I was working away, when suddenly, POOF, my monitor switched off, and the light went yellow and flashing (as if it had gone into powersave mode.)

I restarted, DOS was fine, Windows startup was fine, but as soon as it went into the logon screen, same thing. Almost as if the refresh rate was set too high, but not quite since if that's the case my monitor usually gives me a message like "invalid refresh rate"

So I started up in VGA mode, all was good, but couldn't figure out how to change my display resolution while in VGA mode... So I loaded up the W2k resultion manager, and edited my resolution (1280x1024x85hz) to 1280x1024x75 hz, hoping that would help.

Same problem.

So I removed the drivers, removed the video tools, (strangely, when I tried to run the "uninstall program", I got a message about "some registry entries not being present), and set it up to standrad VGA.

Restarted again, said no to the hardware wizard, ran the setup from thepowerdesk, blah, blah, blah. Restarted, back got back in Windows, and it looked like I was running at 640x480x8 bit colour (which is right for a fresh install.)
    But the moment I click the "Settings" tab in the Control Panel's "Display Properties", my computer restarted. Same thing next time, and next time, and next time.

The powerdesk icon does not show, though powerdesk is loaded, and when I try to load it, it claims that powerdesk doesn't suport the drivers installed. I checked the driver files (in the Device Manager), and all looks ok...

I even tried the command line powerdesk tool.

But alas,m every time I click the "Settings" tab in the Display Control Panel, my computer just restarts.

WHY?!? WHY?!? WHY?!?

Anyways, I'll leave that with you guys, and I'm going to go jump off a bridge... <cute grin>...

Even if I can't get into there for the time being (though I do need to), if at least I could somehow manually set the startup resolution to something like 1024x768 or ANYTHING but 640x480x8 bit...

Help...! Please...! <grovel>... ;-)

I would first try flashing the video BIOS. Also, see what happens if you set all the MB BIOS parameters to default. Make sure your AGP aperture is set as high as possible after the MB BIOS reset. Also, test the monitor on another computer if possible (or a different monitor on your computer). Might be your monitor.

G400?

Comment

Yes, G400.

I've tried updating the video card's BIOS, and no go.

I have no AGP Aperature size, interestingly enough...

Next I'll try the non beta (but non video tools I suppose) drivers, then resetting the BIOS to defaults...

Any other idea's?

Comment

Working...
      X