Hangs with NT4 PD 4.31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangs with NT4 PD 4.31

I have a NT 4.0 service pack 5 system that has been running very reliably with my Mil G200 using the PowerDesk 4.22 drivers. The other day I noticed that the NT4 PD 4.31 drivers came out, and I logged out as me and logged in as admin and installed it. I rebooted after it finished.

However, two or three times later that day, my system beeped, and then hung. I had to hit the reset switch, which I had not done in months since I installed the OS. Has anybody else had this kind of problem?

Towards the end of the day, I decided to install the PD 4.22 drivers. It's been running solid for 2 days now that it is back on the PD 4.22 drivers.

My system: Abit BP6 with dual celery 333 overclocked to 460 (92MHz FSB), Mil G200 AGP 8MB, SoundBlaster PCI 512, generic Via Rhine 10/100BT NIC, IBM 10G 5400RPM HD, BTC 24X cd, ps2 mouse & keyboard. Optiquest V75 monitor running at 1600x1200x24 @75Hz.

I am 99% convinced that it has something to do with the new PD 4.31 drivers. Maybe it is aggravated by a 92MHz FSB on my system.

hmm that's wierd.. I haven't had a single hang with these drivers....

Comment

I have had a few hangs when running Quake II with OpenGL. NT(sp3) and 4.31 drivers.

Comment

I have just re-ghosted 35 PIII 450's with G200 SDRAMS and NT4 SP6a and PD 4.34. I am seeing the exact same problems on a LOT on the machines!

Sudden freezes, no Dr. Watson, nothing. The only thing I can do is to power the machine down. Just like you I was rock steady on PD 4.22. But I was also running SP5 at the time not SP6a like I'm trying to now.

Matrox HELP!!! I still have 75 more G200 based machines that I was going to re-ghost this weekend.

Alan

------------------
        HOME: WORK:
        PIII 500 PIII 500
        G400 32MB G400 32MB
        128MB PC100 128MB PC100
        9GB 10K SCSI 9GB 10K SCSI
        Win 98 SE NT4 SP6a
        DirectX 7
        Alan R. Vidmar
        Assistant Director of IT
        University of Colorado - Boulder
        Alan.Vidmar@Colorado.edu
        "A programmer is a person who turns coffee into software."

Comment

Follow up on my previous post. SP6a is NOT the problem. I have tested this by taking a previous ghost image that had SP5 and PD 4.22 still on it and applying it to a test machine. Uninstalled 4.22, then installed the PD 4.34 drivers.

Boom NT freezes, when moving a scroll bar. Happend three tries in a row.

Alan

------------------
          HOME:
          PIII 500
          G400 32MB
          128MB PC100
          9GB 10K SCSI
          Win 98 SE
          DirectX 7

WORK:
          PIII 500
          G400 32MB
          128MB PC100
          9GB 10K SCSI
          NT4 SP6a
          Alan R. Vidmar
          Assistant Director of IT
          University of Colorado - Boulder
          Alan.Vidmar@Colorado.edu
          "A programmer is a person who turns coffee into software."

Comment

IMHO, the 4.22 drivers are the only way to go. If there were not any drivers that fully worked with it, it would remind me of any piece of Diamond Multimedia hardware that I've had to deal with.

By undercooking my celeries to a 78MHz FSB, it was running stable for me with the 4.34 drivers. However, any quicktime movies I played look like crap.

Comment

Seems as though I have no choice but to re-ghost all ~100 machines with the 4.22 drivers.

Matrox had been notified of this situation, but I haven't heard back from anyone.

Pissed,
              Alan

------------------
              HOME:
              PIII 500
              G400 32MB
              128MB PC100
              9GB 10K SCSI
              Win 98 SE
              DirectX 7

WORK:
              PIII 500