Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to use G400 Max Dual Head with Win98SE

Hi,

I try to use a Matrox G400 Max G400 Dual Head AGP 32Mo under Windows 98SE.

With a lot of difficulties I can now start Windows, the desktop seems Ok. But few instants after the computer stop working, display freeze, current window or dialog box is not correctly re-painted and nothing work. I Can only move the mouse pointer but no action is possible an CTRL+ALT+DEL is inactive I need to do a "hard" reset.

I had downloaded an installed :
    - Matrox PowerDesk 5.30.007
    - Via AGP driver 3.55
    - Via IDE Busmaster driver 2.1.43
    - Via PCI Bridge path 1.6

There is no conflicts, everything is OK in safe mode and all seems ok with an ISA Video Card.

On the same computer with Win95 I have had no problems.

I had formatted my HD many times.

My config :
    -----------

Pentium 200 MMX
    Motherboard P5SD-B+
    Bios Award 08/03/1998-VP3-586B-W877-P5SD-B+
    HD FUJITSU MPD3064AT 6,4Go
    CD-ROM ASUS CD-S340
    No sound card
    Monitor Samtron SC-726V
    Current resolution 1024x768x256 Large fonts
    DirectX 6.2

Could you help me please?

Thanks.

IMportant thing that you needed to do is to make sure that USB was enabled in your BIOS when you installed windows.... once done, you need the 4 in 1 patch directly from www.viatech.com... if you didn't do exactly this... then you might be in more problems than what you think.... Also.. do not take this wrong but why a G400 Dual head in a pentium 200 ??? The video card is worth more that the complete system...

Comment

Hi,

Definitely agree with Zwisch on this one. USB had to be enabled in the bios before installing windows. Enabling after will not work. This is a known issue with FIC motherboards and yours uses the same chipset.

Comment

Try switching to 32 colr depth. I ha lockups every time I blinked but noticed it didn't happen after switching the desktop to 32 bit color
        PIII600EB, CC820, 256Megs, 2940U2W, Seagate Cheetah,G400-32 SH, Plextor 8\20, Plextor 40Max, SBLive!, MS FFPro, Altec Lansing ACS-48, Sony CDP 520GS

Comment

Well,

I format my hard-disk one more time, I enable USB in my bios, I put my Matrox in AGP connector, I install Win98SE, I install 4 in 1 patch from www.viatech.com, I install Matrox PowerDesk 5.11.012 from my Cd-Rom, I re-boot my computer and ......
          It's work fine! Alleluia!

Thanks a lot to everybody for yours so quick answers and informations!!.

Does's anybody can explain me why we have to unable USB in Bios before installing Win98SE?
          I suppose it's a VXD problem.

Dear Zwisch,
          I know pentium 200 is not the best processor for an G400 Dual head (in french we said "Donner de la confiture aux cochons").
          But I want to use Dual head in professional application (ophtalmologic ultrasound) and I have around the world many systems with this processor and I need to insure compatibilty.
          But you're right the video card is worth more!
          Anyway thanks a lot for yours informations.

Bye.

Comment

.. en autant que les cochons soient contents!

Comment

Working...
            X