Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUG: Control Panel on Start Menu crashes EXPLORER.EXE

Here's a bug I found:

If you have the Control Panel listed on your start menu as shown below, trying to expand it from the start menu crashes explorer.exe. This does NOT happen with any other video card i've used.

This is with the most current 5.30 drivers. Oddly enough, you can use the same basic trick to put your printers on a cascading start menu item, and that DOESN'T crash. Anyway, here's how you reproduce it:

1. Right-click on Start button, and select Explore.

2. Right-click in Explorer's right pane (you should see Programs listed here).

3. Select New then Folder.

4. Type in Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} for the folder name. (you MAY have to take a look in the registry for the actual control panel CLSID, though the above item should be it).

5. Close Explorer.

6. Check your Start menu the Control Panel should be listed.

7. Run your mouse over the new control panel listing in your start menu. Explorer.exe should crash.

not too sure on this by why use New - Folder, when you are creating a program?

Comment

You aren't creating a program. You're referencing a class ID which allows the folder to cascade rather than open a new window.

Comment

then I must have had a wrong number since it's working but does not look like the control panel... I'll try again later...

Comment

Working...
        X