Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft-restart hangs

Hi everyone,
    Why is it that 99.9% of the time, my system hangs when soft-restarting, with the message 'Restarting Windows...' displayed ? It used to work fine, and still does work fine if I use the standard VGA driver.

My system:
    C300A
    Mystique G200 AGP
    Abit BH6 with 128M PC-100 SDRAM
    Win98
    (of course it's overclocked , but it doesn't work even at 300 MHz)

Thanks,
    Xylo

PS: By soft-restart, I mean pressing Shift as I click Restart

Which drivers have you tried so far? Does it do that with all of them?

Comment

I've tried them all (really!). Yes, it does it with all.
      It worked once after upgrading a BIOS I think, either Award's or Matrox's.
      I have no IRQ conflicts at all (in fact I have disabled the 2 COM ports so that no sharing is necessary).

Could it have anything to do with Power Management ?

Comment

it would indeed be possible... Have you tried resetting your BIOS settings to their default values? I have solved a shutdown problem with this today... but then again , this only occurs with the matrox drivers installed... did you check for program being started with windows? maybe one could create some conflicts?

Comment

Zwisch,
          I once stripped down my system to the bare minimum, and it still hanged.
          I asked about Power Management, because I have another similar problem that could be related: when I put my system in Standby, most of the time it does not awaken (the screen stays dark, even though I hear disk activity). In fact in this case the screen isn't blank, but my IIyama monitor shows a blinking message that it is not receiving any video signal.
          Could it be my card?
          Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

I doubt that it is the card since this is the only time that you get this... sounds more like corrupted windows or configuration.. but who can tell with current computers!!

Best thing would simply be to try the card in another system if possible.

Z

Comment

Mine started that I believe right after I installed DX7. The best part is when installing the powerdesk drivers (over and over) it likes to do that kind of restart.
              ctrl-alt-del doesn't work, hard reset is only way out for me

------------------
              k6-3 450 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16 (With via bm drivers yields 3x performance by 'hdtach')- g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 PD 4.51 (all software disabled)- 128MB 10ns sdram - wdac10100 - sblive value - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access (28.8k for emergencies) - win98 service pack 1 + 2
              dx7

abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
              g400 max-
              256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
              dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
              Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

Try to set:
                HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Displ ay\0000\CPU\AGPFallback to 1 each time before windows starts (eg. in autoexec.bat) coz PD set it automaticliy , This should help.
                I've reported this bug some time ago.

Jarek

------------------
                -------------------------
                G200-SD 8mb, C333@416, LX, Win98se

Comment

I'd love to try your suggestion Jarek, but I don't know how to change a registry setting from DOS ..

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that.
                    Didn't know that Regedit ran from dos too!

Comment

For example: export this reg-key under windows to file (eg. C:\test.reg) and under dos execute "regedit.exe c:\test.reg".
                      test.reg is text-file so you can change it via edit to set AGPFallBack=1.

Jarek

------------------

Comment

I don't know if this is related or anything, but I had a problem with shutdowns and restarts when I changed one of my devices in Device Manager from APM BIOS to ACPI BIOS, even though my motherboard has an ACPI BIOS. Went back to the Advanced Power Management (APM) and everything was fine again. Not sure if this helps or not, just another thing to think about.

Comment

Working...
                        X