G400MAX and NT4 SP5 is nogo !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400MAX and NT4 SP5 is nogo !?

I have some experience with adding or changing hardware on a machine running NT4 w/ SP5 and the one thing I can say is it sucks. I have experienced what you are describing, but not with a G400MAX. My advice to you is this:

1) Uninstall and delete everything that has to do with Matrox drivers. I think the Matrox site has instructions on how to do this, but I am not sure.
    2) Reinstall SP5.
    3) Reinstall Matrox drivers.

I got the same video distortion and such when I traded out a video card on an NT machine that had SP5 loaded. I have not noticed this problem in SP4 or lower. I have learned that one of the joys of dealing with Microsoft is installing patches that mess everything up. One quick tip for any future installs of NT4: install SP5 or later before installing any drivers (beyond network, which is a necessity if you are installing to a machine on an NT domain). I haven't had any problems with drivers working since I discovered this. Prize this piece of information, because it was the result of countless hours of frustration.

Hope that works - I sincerely apologize if you have to redownload SP5 and it doesn't work.

Jon
    My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
    2 Pentium III 500 MHz
    256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
    Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
    2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
    Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
    Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
    Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
    Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

SP5 didn't work ... ;-(
    Don't worry I didn't have to download it again. It was still on my HDD as with all large patches.

Anyway I now found the solution. In thr P5A BIOS there is an option that says "AGP Turbo mode". My manual doesn't say what it is - AGP 2X ???.. The default setting is enabled, but when I turn this off my G400MAX works perfectly in NT and both 98.

Maybe this can help others ...

Armin

------------------

Comment

Hi,

Other useful tips for NT users :

- matrox drivers (but also other manufacturers) do not install or update properly when you have dial ups programs such as PCAnywhere, Procomm Plus, reach Out... installed. You hence need to uninstall the program, update the drivers and reinstall the program.

- Be sure that PNP OS is always set to NO.

For P5A, the option Frame Buffer Posted Write should also be disabled.

Z

Comment

G400MAX and NT4 SP5 is nogo !?

I just received a G400MAX directly from Matrox's store but the thing won't work in NT.

In Windows 98 (first edition) it works perfectly including dual-head etc.
        So I guess the card is functionning correctly ... (?)

However in NT Server 4 SP5 I get serious graphical corruption - actually the whole screen is filled with so much distorsion that nothing is viewable anymore. I used the 4.22 powerdesk and the 4.12.

Strange thing is that the same drivers worked fine with my Millenium G200! When I boot in VGA mode (/VGA in boot.ini) teh card fuctions fine too, although only in 16 colours of course.

My system:

AMD K6-III 400MHz
        ASUS P5A, rev=1.03 BIOS=1007
        Matrox G400MAX
        Creative AWE32 VE non-PnP
        Winbond NE2000
        3Com 905B-TX
        Seagate Medialist Pro HDD
        AOpen 40x CDROM

Can you please give me any solutions/hints/etc.?

What I already tried/are ok, but what didn't work was:

1) Set PnP OS to NO in BIOS
        2) Make sure there is no PCI card belowe the AGP slot (IRQ sharing)
        3) Remove all Matrox-related registry items
        4) Set powermanagement to OFF

Best regards,

Armin

------------------

Comment

>For P5A, the option Frame Buffer Posted
          >Write should also be disabled.

???
          That setting is enabled on my system ...

It is probably - like always - not a clear situation of what can be enabled and what cannot.

Just like many TNT owners have to disable K6 write allocation, others don't have too and again others won't get the thing to work stable at all ... It depends on so many factors ... ;-(

Armin

Comment

Working...
          X