Powerdesk 5.20 & G200 locking up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerdesk 5.20 & G200 locking up

I cannot shake this problem. All the latest versions of powerdesk (5 and above) cause my machine to lock up after about 3-5 minutes use. No blue screen of death, no warning, just complete freeze. I'm having to use the Unified drivers version 4.33. Nothing else works.
    I've reinstalled Windows, add/removed various hardware, changed setting etc etc. Does anyone else have similar problems? My machine spec is:
    P2 300, 64mB RAM, Millenium G200 8mB, 12mB Creative Voodoo 2, Creative AWE4.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Duncan
    Adelaide, Australia

Hi,

Did you check for conflicting IRQ's or traces of older drivers in your system?

Z

Comment

Have you got your G200 OC'ed in any way? Did you check how hot it gets?
      Do you just have lockups or screen-corruptions as well??

Jorden
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

The G200 is on IRQ 11, and is being shared by the USB Host Adapter. I've seen this on other machines, so I don't think that is problem.

I've resinstalled Windows 98 twice. Each time I've down a fresh install of both the OS and the Powerdesk drivers (latest ones). Still locks up.

The card is not overclocked in anyway. It also has the latest BIOS.

I really can't figure this one out. It could be some conflict (I have a network card as well), or perhaps a dodgy bios setting.

Is there any tweak utilities around that could help? ie. perhaps there are some internal G200 settings that Powerdesk doesn't offer.

I don't get any screen corruption. The whole system freezes. The mouse is still movable (which is a bit wierd) but clicking does nothing. I've left it hanging for a while in case it comes back.

I originally had a problem returning from Powersaver. ie. If the monitor switches itself off, I cannot re-enter Windows - I have to hard reset or disable the powersave feature (this doesn't happen with the unified drivers).

Does anyone know whether Matrox changed the specs a little on powerdesk 5? It just seems a little to weird!

regards,

Duncan

Comment

I have been having the exact same problem and have tried every solution I have seen on this forum with no luck. I was running the 4.51 drivers because the preformance was way better than 4.33. Yesterday, I decided to try something just because, I bulled my Voodoo II and uninstalled 4.51, then installed 5.25 and it is still working now. My preformance is even better than with the 4.51. I can't explain it, I won't even try, but I am running with 5.xx drivers for the first time with no lockups. My computer has been on for 12 hours straight running a graphics intensive directX screen saver with no locks. I also ran 3DMark 99 Max 3 time and got over 1900 every time.
          Jeff

Comment

I have been having the exact same problem and have tried every solution I have seen on this forum with no luck. I was running the 4.51 drivers because the preformance was way better than 4.33. Yesterday, I decided to try something just because, I bulled my Voodoo II and uninstalled 4.51, then installed 5.25 and it is still working now. My preformance is even better than with the 4.51. I can't explain it, I won't even try, but I am running with 5.xx drivers for the first time with no lockups. My computer has been on for 12 hours straight running a graphics intensive directX screen saver with no locks. I also ran 3DMark 99 Max 3 time and got over 1900 every time.
            Jeff

Comment

I have had similar problems Every time I have tried to run the latest drivers!

Sometimes I got screen corruption before the hang. Sometimes I got the black screen with the mouse cursor. Eventually I opted for only trying to run the certified drivers as they always seemed to work (also it having certified drivers gives game tech support one less thing to blame when their game won't work). However the latest certified release seems to get half way through the re-boot before hanging the system. I have heard rumors that this could be due to a conflict with my sound board. I have no idea if this is true. Any attemt to get advice out of the UK support site seems to be ignored. I have mailed them on three separate opccasions over the last year and they have not replied yet!

At present I am also running the 4.33 drivers as these are the highest certified drivers that will run.

has anyone had any info from Matrox about why everyone is having these problems?

Do certain sets of drivers conflict with some systems?

How do you tell which drivers will run without trying them all? (this can be a real pain)

[This message has been edited by Charles Lister (edited 10-09-1999).]

Comment

I noticed a little something on the 5.30 driver release:
                Main known issues:
                - "Having another 3D accelerator in the same system with the Turbo ICD is not supported. Ex: G400 + Voodoo I or Voodoo II."

Could the problem be related to the OpenGL ICD we've waited a year for? That would explain the freezes on the screensaver.

Anyone got any possible solutions? I doubt from what I've read that Matrox are going to be forthcoming.

Removing the Voodoo card is not an option, since I find it way faster than G200. I'd sooner replace it, since this seems to be the cause of the problem.

regards,
                Duncan

Comment

Duncan- Im using SLI V2 with 5.25 and I get great performance- only time I ever get a lock up is after I play Q3 for a few games, and try to switch to another game/API. I will soon uninstall Q3 because of it. But anyway- I have delayed the install of 5.30 becuase of these things...but if your running a P2 or better- the 5.25 w/dx7 should work flawlessly for you--- lienen software has a voodoo2 tweak utility, thats free and decent. and theirs no "valuable" way to overclock tha G200 (defaults to 80mhz)

but try 5.25/dx7/voodoo2refrence

You should be chill

a digital display of evolution
                  (G200 with aid of Diamond Monster 3D II-SLI)

Comment

D.W. - Are you playing Q on the v2 or the Gx00? I thought alot of my games looked great running on a monster 1. I removed the monster after I had problems w/matrox's new drivers (all of them) and found the matrox played 98% of my games. Boy was I surprised.

Duncan - The reference to multiple cards is for the g400. Supposedly.

I don't think your v2 is conflicting w/5.30, I have same problem w/5.30. As I posted to D.W., my v1 is removed now

When I 5.20 came out, I tried custom monitor settings and then Blue screens abound. That's why I'm back to 4.33c. 5.2 anything wouldn't work after that.

Charles - I,too,had the 'cursor on the black screen' w/5.2x. Also wouldn't shut down. Also wouldn't take new settings due to 'restart necessary' and no shutdown.
                    Now I know why I like my reset button

------------------
                    k6-3 450 - tyan 1590s bios 1.16 - g200 mill sgram w/8mb upgrade & bios 2.6-20 & 32bit z-buffering enabled & PD 4.33c- 128MB 10ns sdram - wdac10100 - sblive value - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access (28.8k for emergencies) - win98 service pack 1 + 2
                    abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
                    g400 max-
                    256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
                    dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
                    Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

I'm yet to try the latest voodoo reference drivers (I only saw the other day that a newer one exists). I'm holding off installing 5.30, though I think I might give it a try and see what happens.

It appears a lot of people I experiencing these lockups.

From what Paul says, it might not be related to the Voodoo. I've seen other users on this site reporting similar problems.

Are Matrox ever going to get their act together and properly support this card? I pity people buying the G400 (even though it appears a great card) because the driver support and stability is below average. Nvidia really put everyone to shame.

For now, I might try out 5.30, but I'm sure it will dissapoint. I'll stick to the Voodoo for running games, seems this performs well and stable.

Should we contact Matrox? Or at least get some 'official' response?

Duncan

Comment

As one of the unfortunate few who have suffered ever since PD went to version 5, I would like to think that 5.30 will sort everything, and bring the back the stability that I had previously enjoyed with 4.33 and 4.51.

I must admit, I find the lack of decent docs with Matrox drivers rather disconcerting. No release history, damn all info on their website (bloody chrome mostly). A more open approach would not only benefit users, but benefit Matrox themselves, and bring them closer to their users. Over here in Scotland, UK, I feel particularly isolated from them, like if you're outside the US/Canada then no-one is there for you. The resellers don't know anything about it.

Man, nearly all my posts are moaning about something! Let's think positive, the G200 is a nice little card, maybe a bit underpowered in the 3D department, but beautiful, faultless 2D performance.

Praise where it's due

Archie

Comment

As far is 2d is concerned, I think the G200 is fantastic. 3d image quality it good as well, but performance isn't up to todays spec (it was when the card was first released, but the TNT quickly surpassed).

If only Matrox could get their driver/support thing worked out, then they would have a great all-round card. A lot of hardware manufacturers tend to slack off a bit on driver support after a while, the only exception (that I know of) being Creative who provide excellent driver support.

I'm just very frustrated with the quirks this card has - I can't Shift-Restart with 5.x, random freezes etc. I really want to be able to use the Opengl / 3d advantages 5.x provide for 3d work (which the V2 doesn't supply as standard), but the card/drivers just aren't stable enough.

I hope Matrox do read these forums, and take some note of what users are saying. For all of us writing about various problems, you can gaurantee there are at least 100's of other customers experiecing the same problems, and probably don't have the same willingness or the time to use the card as it was designed.

I've had an original Millenium and now the G200, and I think they make fantastic product (just look at the reviews the G400 is getting), but it would be nice to see some improvements on the driver support side.

Duncan

Comment

Working...
                          X