R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P.

I think my trusted Panasonic NV-DX1 3 CCD mini-DV is about to render its mortal soul. It has not survived a 1 m drop onto a concrete floor. The plastic lens housing has been knocked skew-whiff, focussing (man or auto) doesn't work and playback doesn't (deck motors are OK), either. Optically it seems OK and I can still extract fixed-focus video from through the lens, with zooming OK.

I have contacted the ER to see whether it can be saved and await the doctors' prognosis, but I'm not too optimistic.

I feel sad

------------------
    Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Well just think of the insurance money and what you can buy next.

I dropped a pair of binoculars on my MS50 which shattered the carriage cover, but the rest of the cam works. Since I'd have to pay the first £50 of an insurance claim, it ain't worth getting it fixed on insurance. Damn.

Comment

Chris

Our insurers will not insure it for accidental damage, just for theft with breaking and entering, fire, earthquakes, satellites falling out of the sky and suchlike things

Want a holiday in Cyprus? I'll tell you how and when to break and enter, where to find it etc. 50-50? Seriously though, I don't think there is any way to claim on this.

------------------
      Brian (the terrible)

Comment

Hi Guys,
        Sorry about your cameras, here's another story. Our 10 year old RCA ProEdit (full size VHS cassette) camcorder was knocked over off its tripod last November breaking the circuit board inside. Before the accident it still took decent video but unfortunately(?) it was irrepairable. In 1989 it cost approximately $1800(Can). Our house insurance covered the loss and with a $200 deductible we ended up with $626, not nearly enough to buy a bottom of the line D8. I have been spending so much time and effort saving for and putting together a new computer that replacing the camcorder was not a priority. Now that the computer is together I hope to join the digital video revolution soon. BTW, Hitachi made the RCA Proedit and still makes a comparable model today which, of course, we had no intention of getting as a replacement.

Laurie
        Laurie
        ======

Comment

I've got video footage from the time my helmet mounted HI8 camcorder took a death plunge from 2000 feet under canopy. It didn't survive (duh) and the interesting thing to notice is the camera shuts off before impact due to the high spin rate causing mistracking of the tape. I've still got it in a box- doesn't look bad from 8 feet but you can see all the cracks in the case when you get closer.

Richard

------------------
          Abit BH6; 300A@450; 128MB
          FastTrack66 dual KA 18GB; Marvel 200; MX300
          Abit BH6; 300A@450; 128MB
          FastTrack66 dual KA 18GB & dual Maxtor 27G 6800; Marvel 200; MX300

Comment

Have just heard that the camera is repairable, but not here. Fortunately, I'm going to Switzerland later this week (yes, you won't hear from me for a couple of weeks -- don't cheer, everyone) and I e-mailed the Swiss Panasonic importer and he has undertaken to fix it. H-o-o-o-ray!

He still can't add a Firewire connection though.

------------------
            Brian (the terrible)

Comment

Glad to hear not all is lost. Wish I was going to Switzerland (I'm stuck in Texas)...

Jon
              My baby...

QDI Brilliant IV - Bios 2.0 Beta (Win2000 updates - email me if you want it!)
              2 Pentium III 500 MHz
              256 MB PC-100 SDRAM
              Matrox Millenium G200 8 MB SGRAM - Bios 2.6-20
              2 Creative Labs 3D Blaster Voodoo2 12 MB (SLI...)
              Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
              Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400
              Quantum Viking 4.5 GB UW SCSI (weak...)
              Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 2X
              Iomega 1GB Jazz

All running on Win2000...

Comment

Working...
              X