G200 & Win98 Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 & Win98 Shutdown

I have a G200 SD 16M AGP card and am running Win98SE. Every driver for the G200 since 4.33 has caused a shutdown problem with Win98 on my system. Either a locked black screen or a Blue Screen of Death. I have tried reinstalling the OS, without any other drivers loaded, and the G200 drivers still crash at shutdown. I have cleaned the system per Matrox's instructions. I have even tried Microsoft's Win98 shutdown patch, to no avail. This occurred with 5.13,5.24, and 5.25. I am running an AMD K6/2 400, an AOpen AX59Pro mainboard, with 128M of PC100 SDram,
    Soundblaster AWE64, and Viking ISA 56.6 modem,with a Western Digital 6.4G UDMA Hard Drive. I am at wits end with this problem. I wrote Matrox when 5.13 didn't work, and they said it should be fixed in the next Certified Drivers. I'd rather not wait until 2001 for a fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. J Smith

I had the same problem with my amd 400
    cant remember whay i did to fix the problem but i am 90% sure the bios upgrade gor the g200 done it
    kenny

Comment

5.13 did that to me. unistalled it during safe mode because final settings dont hold if you dont shutdown right. went back to 4.51. 5.21 was released, went to that ok and then 5.25 (ok,too)

------------------
      abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
      g400 max-
      256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
      dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
      Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Comment

I've a similar problem with my G200 and PD5.
        When I do a shutdown the screen clears and I get Norton Antivirus checking the floppy drive and then a black screen with white dots and the system hangs.

I then have to power the machine off manually. I have the same problem when restarting the system, sometimes it rerstarts fine other times it comes up the the strange screen and I have to hit reset.

If I set the dusplay driver to VGA then it shuts down without a problem. Also if I go back to PD4 drivers then it works fine.

Any ideas?

Regards
        Grant

P3 450, Abit BX6R2 128MB PC100 SDRAM + A 8MB G200 SGRAM.

Comment

Try to disable fast shutdown.

Rags

------------------
          FedEx Sucks!

Comment

how do you disable "fast shutdown"? i have suffered similar problems including screen artifacts and bitmap corruption when using bitmap caching. one would expect things that worke dbefore not to be tampered with in later software releases

Comment

I fixed it! After the absolute frustration, I removed the G200 and installed a CL Graphics Blaster TNT (Not TNT2). I am using the new Nvidia Detonator reference drivers. My 2D aint quite as good as the G200, but gaming performance far exceeds the g200. Quake2 frame rate is doubled! Now I have no shutdown problem. Matrox should listen to it's devoted fans, and fix their drivers. When they fix them, I may return. Thanks for your help, all who post here.

Comment

Working...
              X