Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WEird powerdesk 5.13 problems- should I upgrade or downgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEird powerdesk 5.13 problems- should I upgrade or downgrade?

OK: weird problem. I have a millenium g200, pentium II 400, abit bh6 motherboard with newest bios, just updated g200 to newest bios.

For a year this thing has worked great. Then I somehow got the IRQs screwed up when I uninstalled something. After finally getting those problems resolved (IRQ is now 9, which matrox told me is best) the thing is working again with the following exception:

prior to IRQ problems, never had any problem whatsoever, even with 5.13 drivers.

Now, after completely uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times (by hand and by the utility provided on MURC) I get two weird problems. My screen saver crashes, and the display properties control panel crashes if I try to do anything to the screen saver tab in display properties. If I touch the tab to bring up screen savers, the process crashes (not the whole computer, just the display properties process). I can kill it and continue on, but I generally reboot anyway.
    Second problem is GLquake no longer runs. It hangs just after it switches resolution, and I get a blank screen with a 640x480 blank bottom bar that you have in win95b. I can kill quake via contl-alt-delete and continue on (after switching resolution back), but again, generally reboot.

I completely uninstalled, and downgraded to the 4.33 drivers, and everything is peachy (except quake, as I can't run Glquake without the OpenGL ICD for some reason... but that's a whole nother story...). Screen saver works fine, no problems.

This must be a weird thing with 5.13 drivers, but I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE I CHANGED IRQs. Can anyone give me some suggestions? I know many think original quake is lame, but I enjoy it from time to time, and this thing is bugging me.

COuld this be something weird with the opengl ICD? I am under the impression that it is installed automatically when the 5.13 drivers are, but I don't really see it anywhere.

(BTW, regular quake works perfectly in non-gl mode, and other games run fine as far as I know, but I don't really have many others so I can't verify this)

Working...
X