Simple tool for adding resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple tool for adding resolutions

I have created a simple Windows application to add and remove resolutions from Powerdesk 5. It is basically Helmchen's method with a basic frontend stuck around the dirty work. There is no error checking at all, so it will crash if you have any weird entries (i.e. other than xxxx,yyyy) in the VideoParameters section of the registry. It also only works if the Powerdesk display is enumerated as 0000 (this should be the case if you used the uninstaller before installing Powerdesk 5 and if you don't have multiple displays).

Please download it and send me your comments! I will do my best to incorporate any suggestions. Feel free to e-mail me, but the forums are a better place for comments that way everyone can read each other's feedback. Please note that I only tested this on my system, which is running Windows 98 SE with a G400 MAX and ViewSonic P817 monitor. Also, note that I DON'T TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR REGISTRY, OPERATING SYSTEM, VIDEO CARD, MONITOR, COMPUTER, ETC., ETC. BY USING THIS UTILITY.

That said, get the Powerdesk 5 Resolution Manager here:
    <a href="http://people.ne.mediaone.net/veneziano/pd5resmgr.exe">http://people.ne.mediaone.net/veneziano/pd5resmgr.exe</a>

------------------
    Mark Veneziano

Supermicro P6DGU; single Intel Pentium 3 500 MHz; 256 MB PC100 ECC; AOpen HX08 Case; Matrox Millennium G400 MAX 32MB; Matrox Rainbow Runner G-Series; ViewSonic P817; CL Sound Blaster Live! with digital and optical I/O; Cambridge Soundworks FPS2000; 3Com 3C905B-TX; LANcity LCPET-2 cable modem; Epson Stylus Color 1520; Seagate Cheeatah 9.1 GB U2W; Plextor UltraPlex Wide; Yamaha CRW4416S; HP ScanJet 4p; USR Courier V.Everything; 2.88 MB and 1.2 MB floppy drives; MS Natural Keyboard Elite; MS IntelliMouse Pro; MS IntelliMouse Trackball; MS Sidewinders; MS Win98 SE ACPI enabled.

Mark Veneziano

SWEET!
    Works so far....added 1280x960 like a charm. Just had to set it up in the monitor tab to make it an available res.
    Good job

------------------
    P2-450(@112*4.5=504), Asus P2B(1009), 128meg PC100, MillG400 32meg(PD5.20.???), CL SB Live!Value, CL PC-DVD, Mitsumi CD-R, WD UDMA 8.4&6.4 gig, (2)USR 56k(multilinked), 3Com 905B-TX, etc...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Glad you like it, Kruzin! I certainly hope Matrox does not remove this awesome feature in future versions of Powerdesk.

Mark Veneziano

Comment

Mark

It crashes my win98. Oh well.

O.C.luvin

Comment

Hi O.C.,

When you say it crashes Win98, does it crash the whole operating system so you have to reboot, or does the Resolution Manager crash itself and leave Win98 still usable?

Also, does it crash when you first open it or when you try to do an add/delete operation?

The application itself is very simple. The only reasons it should crash is:

1) You are missing some required MFC DLLs.
          2) The VideoParameters registry key is not present.
          3) The VideoParameters registry key contains values other than those of the form xxxx,yyyy.
          4) The VideoParameters registry key appears under a different display than 0000. This could be the case if you have multiple displays, if you installed Powerdesk multiple times, or if there is information from an old display stuck in the registry.

If you can give me some more specific information about how it crashed on your system, I will do my best to help.

Mark Veneziano

Comment

Working...
          X