Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying Manufacturer's Monitor .INF file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying Manufacturer's Monitor .INF file?

Has anyone ever modified a manufacturer's monitor .INF file.
    My ViewSonic G771 can handle 86Hz at 1024X768 32bit just fine, but the .INF file limits it to only 75Hz.
    I can use Powedesk and make my own monitor profile that uses 85Hz, but that's not the point. I want to simply be ably to choose Viewsonic G771 and have "Optimal" be 85Hz and not 75Hz.

If I just edit the .INF file from Viewsonic, will that do the trick?

No, it won't.

You'd better wait for a next Powerdesk, which will probably have your monitor's inf file included in the Matrox monitor profiles.

By editing the inf file for your monitor, you'll have to know the precise timings the monitor is using. Don't do it.

My Ilyama A701GT isn't in the files either, but I sure hope it's in the next powerdesk.
    It just depends on whether or not Viewsonic has given Matrox the info about this monitor.
    If not, mail Viewsonic and urge them to do so !!

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

The problem with that is that even if Matrox adds the G771 (which is already quite old) they're just gonna follow Viewsonic's settings and limit it to 75Hz just like in the .INF file.

Hmm.

Comment

Then it wouldn't be a problem, for in PD you can set the frequency by hand... if only at first the monitor is in the list!
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Oh. That WOULD be usefull.
          I'll e-mail Viewsonic and Matrox about it
          (as if they're gonna listen)

Comment

In PD 4.51 I can make a user defined 1024x768 monitor setting, up to 85 Hz.
            I'd think and hope they take it along to 5.xx but we'll know in due time, and we can't ask the beta-testers.

And no, I don't think they will listen !!
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Oh ya. That's what I've always done.
              I just use a standard vesa monitor @75-85Hz and use 85Hz for 1024X768.

Anyone from Matrox reading this

Comment

If you look at Ant's review, you will see the new monitor tab in PowerDesk5. It's more or less the same stuff, with a bit of a different interface.

And even though my monitor is directly listed, I still built my own custom profile starting with a standard monitor type. My monitors inf says it'll only go to 1600x1200, but I can get it up to 1800x1440 with my custom setup.

Dentaku- Your monitor still isn't on the list, and as it's an older model, I doubt Viewsonic is gonna bother contacting Matrox about it's inf, but if they do, it will be added

------------------
                P2-350(@103*4=412), Asus P2B(1009), 128meg PC100, MillG200 8meg(2.5/5.12.???), CL 12meg V2 (sometimes), CL SB Live!Value, CL PC-DVD, Mitsumi CD-R, WD UDMA 8.4&6.4 gig, (2)USR 56k(multilinked), 3Com 905B-TX, etc...

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Interesting, i have a viewsonic PS790 with a mystique 4 meg, rainbow runner, and m3d. I am currently using the viewsonic PS709.inf. I tried to update the matrox definitions by using powerdesk 4.33c which is for G200 series and used the mgapdx64.inf from 4.31 - no new matrox monitor defintion but my powerdesk reads 4.33.045 - interesting development...things look fine...is this an improvement???

Comment

Interesting, i have a viewsonic PS790 with a mystique 4 meg, rainbow runner, and m3d. I am currently using the viewsonic PS709.inf. I tried to update the matrox definitions by using powerdesk 4.33c which is for G200 series and used the mgapdx64.inf from 4.31 - no new matrox monitor defintion but my powerdesk reads 4.33.045 - interesting development...things look fine...is this an improvement???

Comment

Guys, you really like to do things the hard way...

As all the contemporary monitors support VESA compatible timings, it's enough to open Matrox monitor selection, Standard monitor types, and select the appropriate VESA monitor (like XXXxYYY at 85 Hz). That's it. No user customization necessary as long as you don't want to push the monitor to some nonstandard frequency.

The same trick will work with PDesk 5.1 (5.2 ?), although the user interface is slightly different.

Comment

You'll see (by reading earlier posts) that that's what I did.
                        I was just asking if it was possible to do it without having to choose a standard VESA monitor.

Does anyone out there have the newest Powerdesk? I'd like to know if the G771 is in there. (yeah right)

Comment

You'll see (by reading earlier post) that that your monitor is not in the latest PD
                          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Oh, I know, I know. I read all the earlier posts.
                            I was just making myself clear

It's not a very big deal anyway. It's amazing this thread has gone on for so long.

Comment

have you tryed a utlity program like hz tool or quick res.

------------------
                              i spend way too much time and money on my 3 systems.

Comment

Working...
                              X