Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD 6.04; MGAtweak 2.0, MillG200

Hello!

Would you be so kind to help me setup my video card to maximum performance?
    There is the Millennium G200 SDRAM with PowerDesk 6.04 installed. The Information tab on display propertis is report "PowerDesk version 6.14". Is it OK?
    I was download and install the MGAtweak 2.0. When I run this tools in 16bit color or 32bit color display modes, then tweak report PLL frequency is about 168MHz. I change it to 200 MHz and video card work OK.
    However when I run this tool in 8bit color or 24bit color display modes then it report PLL frequency 124MHz. I change frequency to 200Mhz and video card goes mad.
    Just 150MHz PLL frequency work OK.
    But when I switch display mode to 16bit color or 32bit color, then set the 200MHz, then switch display to 8bit or 24bit color, then videocard work OK.
    So tell me please - why G200 internal frequency is depend of color depth? Is G200 can work fine with 200MHz on 8bit color or 24bit color display modes?

------------------
    WBR \\Thesis
    WBR \\Thesis

MGATweak 2.0?????!!!!! Are you sure???!!!
    8-bit and 24-bit modes are non-3D accelerated modes. They do not have the same clock as 3D-accelerated modes.

KJ Liew

Comment

I would if I were at home.
      I am currently stationed in Folsom, CA USA on job training. I don't bring any MGATweak source codes with me and I can't update MGATools website as well.

There are still some major bugs in current MGATweak:
      1. Some version of Mystique 220 do not work with MGATweak. Matrox changed the location of control aperture base address in PCI config space.
      2. Matrox G100 chip specs had been released, but MGATweak still lacks full supports for G100.
      3. No setup automation.
      4. No multiple cards supports.
      5. NT4 screen saver does not turn off the second head of G400.

Non-beta product should at least complete the first 3 items. Then another major release will cover the rest.

School life and work life is a completely different story. I will continue to work on MGATweak, but the time that I can fully committed to MGATweak development has become less since I have a job responsibility. Hopefully, I will be there to support Matrox next-gen product as well. Some time later, the complete source codes of MGATweak will be released to public domain. In case I can no longer provide supports for MGATweak, someone will be able to take over.

KJ Liew

Comment

kjliew! do you curently have any plans of finaly relesing a non beta product? It has soon been a year since the last relese of MGA Tweak and all the major bugs seems to bee fixed already!

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by kjliew:
          MGATweak 2.0?????!!!!! Are you sure???!!!
          Oops, MGAtweak 1.2 indeed, sorry.

8-bit and 24-bit modes are non-3D accelerated modes. They do not have the same clock as 3D-accelerated modes.
          OK. IMHO if hardware can work in 8bit color mode at 200Mhz - then it always work. If it can't work - then it never work. But why I see both results at some time?
          Look please:
          1.a I set 24bit color
          1.b I set 200MHz PLL (bad screen)
          Result - 24bit color mode NOT work at 200MHz

2.a I set 32bit color
          2.b I set 200MHz PLL (OK)
          2.c I set 24bit color (OK)
          Result - 24bit color mode DO work at 200MHz
          I am very much surprised.

------------------
          WBR \\Thesis
          WBR \\Thesis

Comment

Quote:
            "IMHO if hardware can work in 8bit color mode at 200Mhz - then it always work. If it can't work - then it never work."

No, I don't think so. There must be some reasons why Matrox chooses to have different speed. I am not the chip designer. Do not make such assumption.

2.a I set 32bit color
            2.b I set 200MHz PLL (OK)
            2.c I set 24bit color (OK)
            -> At this point, your SYSPLL has been reset to what is default for 24-bit modes. MGATweak display screen does not show SYSPLL changes in realtime. If you have clock monitoring enabled, MGATweak will try to re-apply your 200MHZ SYSPLL, and it will probably end up in the same bad screen.

[This message has been edited by kjliew (edited 19 October 2000).]
            KJ Liew

Comment

Originally posted by kjliew:
              Quote:
              At this point, your SYSPLL has been reset to what is default for 24-bit modes. MGATweak display screen does not show SYSPLL changes in realtime. If you have clock monitoring enabled, MGATweak will try to re-apply your 200MHZ SYSPLL, and it will probably end up in the same bad screen.
              It seems to me a right answer. But clock monitoring is enabled and I see no broken screen. Tell me please is the MGAtweak display actual PLL frequency when it (MGAtweak) restarted? I will try to restart MGAtweak after setting 200MHz in 24bit color mode. If Matrox hardware automatically reduce SYSPLL at 24bit color then MGAtweak let me see it.
              BTW, would you please tell me what the difference between RAMDAC frequency and PLL frequency? Engleash is really difficult to my, I can not right understend Matrox manuals.
              BTW, would you please tell me what is the difference between RAMDAC frequency and PLL frequency? English is really difficult to me, I can not correctly understand Matrox manuals.

------------------
              WBR \\Thesis
              WBR \\Thesis

Comment

How do you enable clock monitoring?
                You need to hit "Apply" after having the "Clock Monitoring" checkbox ticked. Yes, quit and restarting MGATweak will display the correct SYSPLL speed.

RAMDAC Freq = max. PixelPLL clock. PixelPLL produces the clock to drive the screen refresh.

SYSPLL produces the clock to drive the graphics core, memory subsystem and WARP core.

Hmm... can you understand my English??
                KJ Liew

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kjliew:
                  How do you enable clock monitoring?
                  You need to hit "Apply" after having the "Clock Monitoring" checkbox ticked. Yes, quit and restarting MGATweak will display the correct SYSPLL speed.

Yes, I do it.
                  1. I set 800x600x32bit mode, Vfreq=75Mhz
                  2. Run MGAtweak - it display 168Mhz PLL
                  3. Change PLL clock to 200Mhz, click
                  "monitoring", "save setting",
                  click "Apply". - Screen OK
                  4. Set 800x600x24bit mode, Vfreq=75Mhz
                  Display still OK
                  5. Quit MGAtweak and then start it again in
                  minimized mode. Display still OK
                  6. Maximaze MGAtweak window. It display
                  200Mhz PLL clock. :-o
                  7. I change PLL to 190Mhz, [APPLY], display
                  still OK! =:-O
                  8. Reboot computer, set 800x600x24, run
                  MGAtweak, set 190Mhz - display crash.
                  May be my PC joked on me? =

RAMDAC Freq = max. PixelPLL clock. PixelPLL produces the clock to drive the screen refresh.
                  Thank you. Then what is the name of clock that freqeuncy is equival "pixel-width" * "pixel-hight" * "refresh"? (800*600*75=36Mhz)

Hmm... can you understand my English??
                  Thanx, IMHO I can it right. Forum letter is no so long as a official .PDF long and I have some good dictionarys for searching of new words.

------------------
                  WBR \\Thesis

[This message has been edited by Mike Thesis (edited 24 October 2000).]
                  WBR \\Thesis

Comment

Khong Jye, thanx the wonderful beta1.20
                    Hopefully you will find time for the G800 when it is release .

T3rmite
                    Singapore

Comment

Working...
                    X