Powerdesk Win2k Resolution Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerdesk Win2k Resolution Manager

I have created a new version of the Powerdesk Resolution Manager that works under Windows 2000. This utility allows you to modify the available resolutions and associated parameters, such as refresh rate, on your Matrox video card.

This version is for Windows 2000 only (not Windows 9x), but it MIGHT also work under Windows NT.

Please give it a try and send me your feedback! Be sure to read the enclosed text file before running the program.

Get the Powerdesk Win2k Resolution Manager here:
    http://people.ne.mediaone.net/veneziano/

Enjoy!

------------------
    Mark Veneziano

Mark Veneziano

Wonderful util - but it's a pity that you don't work for Matrox!!!

Using the latest v.1060 drivers on a G400MAx/DH running 1856x1392 on a Iiyama flat 21-incher I easily raised the frame rate from a flickering 75 Hz to a stable 85 Hz.

However, a few of the screen pixels on the left and right side disappeared in the process (as suspected) as I didn't use the advanced settings. Now - is the fine tuning only a trial-error process or should not there exist a math. formula one could follow?

Any user comment on this?

/alle

Comment

Mindjammer suggested this:

Here's how to get the modes correct without having to reboot all the time. First go to the Monitor Settings tab in Win95/98. Uncheck "Use Simplified Monitor Controls". Center all the modes you use with the refresh rates you want, and copy down all the parameters it shows (Front Porch, Sync, Back Porch) along with the centering controls. Plug these into Win2k Resolution Manager. Enjoy.
      You might also want to use the monitor controls to center it properly.

Comment

Hi alle,

You should follow Hunsow's and Mindjammer's advice if you have Windows 95/98 installed. That would be the best way to find the correct parameters for your resolution and refresh rate.

When you run the Resolution Manager without the advanced settings enabled, the program is actually using some simple math to obtain the advanced values. As you can see, this doesn't work on every monitor because the timings that produce a centered full screen image are different from monitor to monitor and video card to video card. The mathematical formula just gives you a starting point. Then you have to tweak the advanced settings or use your monitor's controls to get the exact picture you want.

Hopefully Powerdesk 6.1x will be released soon and will have the same monitor controls as Windows 95/98, which will make this process a lot easier.

Good luck!

------------------
        Mark Veneziano

Mark Veneziano

Comment

Working...
        X