Time to tweak my Max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to tweak my Max

I've been running my G400 Max on a non-o/c'ed PIII/450 for several months and I am now ready to explore overclocking my system ... initially my graphics card. I played with the Matrox Tweak 1.00.012 Utility (AKA v1.12) when I first got the card and I got between 8-13% boost in the master clock (depending on the video mode) before I would see some sort of visual anomaly in the desktop or during a 3D benchmark. I would like to see if I can drive it a little harder and am ready to try one of the other overclocking utilities.
    I remember reading a long thread arguing about the safety of using MGATweak Version 1.12. I didn't try it out because I didn't want to deal with it possibly corrupting my G400 BIOS. Does anybody still feel that this is a problem with this utility? Do you feel it has superior features to the other utilities? I heard that many PC home theatre users really like using PowerStrip 2.54 but this may not be due to its o/c'ing ability. What do you all prefer to use for the Max? Do these other utilities allow separate settings per video mode? Please include your o/c setting (specifying video mode), for the G400 Max and current drivers only. Thanks.

P.S. I also would like to limit responses (if any) to those using default busses of 100 Mhz FSB and 2x AGP bus speed of 67Mhz. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 19 December 1999).]
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

You are getting your overclockers a little mixed up. It was Powerstrip that was reported by some to corrupt the BIOS not MGA Tweak. I suggest you get MGA Tweak, read the manual and before you even overclock just do the memory optimisations it recommennds and you will see an increase in performance.

Comment

Thanks for the correction Ant. I'll take your advice and read up on MGATweak. I would still like to hear which settings people use for a Max on these default bus speeds. Has anyone permanently damaged their card using this utility? Are their any settings I should stay clear of to prevent possible damage?
      I believe the HT folks like to drive their FPTVs using PowerStrip due to its resolution management. I don't know how its o/c features compare. I assume I still can use PD 5 Resolution Manager 2.1 with MGATweak to create any custom displays I may need. So, does anyone have a BIOS corruption problem still with PowerStrip? Are there any unique or superior features in PowerStrip that make it worth the try?

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 19 December 1999).]
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
      X