g400 max tweak settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400 max tweak settings

im trying to optimize my max card using the latest mgatweak but i am getting minimal success. followed the readme file but still wont clock very far past 300. just wondering if anyone would care to share some of the settings that have brought them some success.

Well, at the default divider settings mine will do as follows:

Pll clc: 345,

Disable auto duty cycle correction (I have been messin' with the cycles values, but don't know what the hell I'm doing so.. hehe)

Mem settings are: 3,1,3,9,3,1,fast,1,1,1,

The mem clc base values I can set between .6 and 1.6, but I can't measure the difference - except for a very subjective feeling that 1.4 is my sweetspot.

All this gives me 173 for core and 230 for mem, which is ok. Now I just need the TurboGL

BUT!!! on another note, playing with the dividers (preferably 2.5 for core/warp and 2 for mem) I can go much higher..(core=210, mem=262) only problem is that I can only measure a difference about 10% of the times I tweak around with it, and since I have no patience, I change different values all the time... aka, not isolating the performance increase to MGATweak. Without any basis for knowing the truth of this, I believe that when the pll clock is upped to much, the utility is bypassed (or something, I'm a humanist, so don't ask me about programming or currents, or stuff like that)

anyways, good luck, and if you find working settings that'll tweak your card higher than this, PLEASE let me know.

------------------
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -"The Guide"by D. Adams)

[This message has been edited by MentalVacuum (edited 09-25-1999).]
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -"The Guide"by D. Adams)

Comment

i tried emulating the settings you had
      it ran fine at 345 pll but the funny thing i noticed when running a quick time demo on q2 demo1, was that i actually lost a frame after increasing the clock. yeah i went from 71.5 down to 69.5 (on average). im not really sure what this means or why it even happened. so far with all the tweaks ive tried i have had no significant performance increase which would warrant even using the tweak. it seems that the default settings on the max card, are pretty much the max.
      hehe, small pun intended

Comment

I have had good luck with the latest Powerstrip. I have been able to oc my memory to 245 MHz from 200. Big change in 3D performance.

------------------
        Win98SE, 450 PIII @ 581 MHz (2.0 V), ABIT BX6-2 MB, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, Diamond MX300, CL Dxr3 Decoder, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB SCSI HD Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS, serious case cooling with four additional fans, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Comment

does anyone know any optimal settings for a regular millenium g400?

Comment

My friends,

I keep reading of these memory clock speeds of 240mhz plus. I have tried using both the Matrox overclocking utility as well as power Desk, as well as MGA tweak. I cannot get it to run faster than 210 with perfect stability... 213 is usable with a few "artifacts."

What gives? Did I just draw a slow chip or could I be making a major blunder when overclocking?

Thanks in advance,
            Steve

Comment

Ok, here's a potentially simple question...

Is there really that much benefit using the MGATweak program and playing with all the settings instead of using Matrox's own overclocking program with just the one slidebar?

Comment

where can you get the matrox tweak utillty
                i couldnt find it

Comment

Matrox O/C utility should be available here:
                  http://www.murc.ws/Driver/Win9x/PD5/...ak_utility.exe

James:: I guess it's all a question of finding the utility that'll optimize your particular card maximally. In terms of ease-of-use the Pdodrive is the best, but performancewise I guess it depends. That being said, I'm using the Pdo utility currently as both MGATweak, PDO and Powerstrip will allow me around 172/230 and no more... But then again, my technical understading would fill up the space of a ".", and I'm sure the advanced mem options of the MGAtweak will allow for better optimization if only I know how, and had the patience to do consistent benchmarking after each separate adjustment... But I prefer to frag in UT

[edit - hehe... that "would" be >>wouldn't<< in the little "." analogy obviously]
                  ------------------

[This message has been edited by MentalVacuum (edited 20 October 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                  X