Push it to far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push it to far?

Using g200clk on my Mill SD, I had gotten the SClk all the way up to 236MHz with the suggested RAM optimization - wouldn't do CAS2 over 202MHz. It ran at 236 fine, I pushed it through 3DMark Max, Tirtanium, and the video portion of Wintune back to back to "torture" test it. Finished all of them fine and, of course, posted the highest benches I have had yet. Cracked the case right afterwards to check the temp of the MGA and SEC chips, didn't even feel at all warm. The top of the pcb was slightly warm right over the chip but nothing major. However, when I rebooted, all that came up on screen was line garbage, similar to what you see when you really push it to far. I had to reboot again, it defaulted to safe mode (win hadn't even loaded previously), and the video drivers had unloaded themselves. I had to reinstall all my drivers, everything is fine again. Oh, the Power Off feature reverted to "4 sec delay" again, even though it wasn't set to that in BIOS - only time I've seen this happen is when I pushed the FSB too far. Anybody else had this happen before? It doesn't seem that I pushed the G200 too far, I'm wondering if I pushed the Via chipset.
    System details: K6-3 450@504 (112*4.5), Epox MVP3G-M (Via chipset is rev -CE, btw), Mill G200 SD 16MB, 128MB CAS3 RAM.
    "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Well, the CPU and sys temp are fine - Case stays at 28C, CPU is normally at 33 - 34C, highest I have managed to push it is 46C. All well within limits. The Via chipsets didn't feel warm afterwards either. Running the CPU at standard 2.4V. This is the first time since I got the system that I have had any instability at these settings, and it's been running pretty much continuous for 2 weeks now. I could bump the voltage to 2.5, but I think I'll wait and see if it happens again. Perhaps it was a fluke....
    "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

Hi anid,

at what resolution did you do the test ?
      is it different from the desktop res after rebooting ?

The reason I'm asking is that there are two different default clock rates, and one of it is better overclockable ...

------------------
      Cheers,
      Maggi

Not too slow running Asus, Intel & Matrox based system ...
      Actually boosted by the Millenium G400 32MB SGRAM DualHead 8-)

Comment

Well, the desktop resolution is set at 1024X768X16. I ran 3DMark at 800X600X16, Tirtanium uses a variety of resolutions, but I just use the 800X600 and 1024X768 at 16 and 32 bpp with it. Wintune uses the normal desktop rez. It has happened a few more times (inconsistently), even at milder settings. I am starting to think that it was a conflict between one of two things: my SD board will not allow me to run the 4.51 setup, so I simply told Win98 to change the driver. The "certified" version of Powerdesk was still operating, though, and I'm wondering if this had something to do with it. I have since uninstalled powerdesk, and am just using the drivers and everything seems to be fine. I'm trying to figure out a way to "hack" the setup, so i can get the same version of Powerdesk running.
        The other possibility was an install goof on my part. Not thinking about it, I put an I/O controller card next to the AGP slot. IRQ sharing... opps. I have since changed that also. Either one of them could have been the conflict, I'm guessing the latter. But, after I uninstalled Powerdesk, it would just freeze on boot, no line garbage, and the drivers would still be in place on reboot. Anyway, hasn't done it since, no matter what crazy settings I have tried.

I did manage to push the SClk all the way up to 246, but it would sometimes hang when using D3D. It did make it through the 3DMark.... 29XX, can't remember exactly. Some minor artifacts. Decided for me that 227 with CAS2 setting seemed to be the safest, no artifacts at all. I would like to reset my pins, have figured out almost all of the 34 (even the undocumented ones - ever seen a Mill SD with a Maven chip and SG RAM ), but I worry about doing it cuz if I use g200clk in the startup folder it goes nuts, whatever settings I use.... could use some help on that one. And on playing with the BIOS in general, actually... would love to know where those RAM op and clock divider settings are. Anyone wanna help, feel free to let me know... And thanks for the inquiry Maggi...

Comment

Working...
        X