G450 pci and Kyro II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450 pci and Kyro II

Hmm... Posted this as a reply in the Crystal Ball forum, but everyone is too busy hacking and slashing the G550 over there

I'm think of using a G450 pci as a secondary card, and plugging a Hercules Kyro II in the AGP slot. Will it work?
    Fett med para

I've tryed many a different combinations of dual VGA cards and they have all worked, apart from a old ATI card under windows 2000 and a G200 AGP. So YES . I'm sure it would work .

Comment

I was thinking of something similar (hadn't made my mind up about the primary adapter), see http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/010780.html.

Any comments on the usability of TV-encoder if the G450 PCI is the secondary adapter ?

Some more general question :
      Do both resolutions (on the Kyro & G450) have to be the same ?
      What about the Kyro and the G450s second vga output ?
      Is it possible to display the image generated by the Kyro on one of the displays of the G450 ?
      Are there any references/faqs on such setups ?

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Whoops, the last . was added to the url , this is the link :

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/010780.html

pixar

Comment

Jörg: Be sure to get a monitor with two inputs and a dedicated switch for them - messing with the monitor menus everytime you want to play a game will be wuite tiring

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Monitor menus, I take it you mean the OSD of some monitors ?

My current monitor (almost 3 years old Philips Brilliance 107) has 2 inputs (D-Sub + 5 coax connectors - don't know it "official name" ). The dedicated switch is however located at the back of the device (to quote the Oxford dictionary : Doh!). But I'm guessing a vga-switch (normally used to connect 2 computers to one monitor) might also to the trick. But it is indeed a thing to look out for ! Thanks !

I was however enquerring for a software-solution, but I guess that is out of the question, and far more complicated than just switching the signal with hardware.

Any comment on the capability of using the second connector of the G450 for a second display : does this work if the card is the secondary video-card ? Does it need to have the same resolution ?
            And what about the tv-output of the G450 ?

(so many questions... )

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Verstraete J:
              ... 5 coax connectors - don't know it "official name"</font>
              RGBHV

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">... But I'm guessing a vga-switch (normally used to connect 2 computers to one monitor) might also to the trick.</font>
              A good quality KVM (not manual switch) would be a great way to go. May come in handy some day if/when you drive a VGA connected TV. Look for a switch that has IR control. My NEC has the D-sub/RGBHV switch in front.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Hehe, yep, I meant the OSD - sometimes I just can't remember words so I use others to describe what I mean

Just say BNC, everyone will know you mean the 5 coax inputs

And I THINK switches will reduce signal quality, which would effectively make a Matrox card for great 2D quality kinda useless, if the picture quality of the Kyro II is almost as good as the Gxx0's

AZ

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by az:
                  And I THINK switches will reduce signal quality ...</font>
                  Not if you get a good one. I'll try and get you the name of the one my buddy uses for watching PC DVDs on his Barco projector.

<TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

-
                    Just say BNC, everyone will know you mean the 5 coax inputs
                    -
                    Well, euhm, sometimes I just can't remember words so I use others to describe what I mean .

I hadn't thougt about the loss of quality, but xortam mentioned using "a good KVM (not manual switch)", and I think that quality will be quite well preserved (mind you, a good KVM is relatively expensive, so chances are that for my next monitor I'll go for a model with 2 inputs and front swith).

Thanks !

Any comments on my other questions ?

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

As for your question whether both cards have to have the same resolution and colour depth: I don't think so.

As for your other questions, I don't know

AZ

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by xortam:
                        A good quality KVM (not manual switch) would be a great way to go.</font>
                        Which will lead to the question if the expense is still worth it. For sure, with any cheap manual switch, you don't need a Matrox card offering superb image quality ...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">My NEC has the D-sub/RGBHV switch in front. </font>
                        This way many owners of HQ monitors avoided the loop-through cable when using Voodoo1
                        or Voodoo2 based boards ...

However, one still needs some support on the software side. I never had 2 vgas in any PC so I can't tell from experience: How flexible is WinME/2000 when using multiple cards? Can you easily set the primary adapter befor starting one ore another application? Or is the output really doubled to both cards at every time anyway?

--E<:|

Comment

Do both resolutions (on the Kyro & G450) have to be the same ?
                          NO

It should work for a 3rd monitor if that is what you mean.

Is it possible to display the image generated by the Kyro on one of the displays of the G450 ?
                          NO.

Any comments on the usability of TV-encoder if the G450 PCI is the secondary adapter ?
                          It will work just as normal.

[This message has been edited by bacon (edited 22 June 2001).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by bacon:
                            It should work for a 3rd monitor if that is what you mean.

NO.
                            </font>
                            It is indeed possible, just not at the same time (but I doubt that this is what Jörg wanted *LOL), as was said with either a monitor with multiple inputs or a monitor switch or a KVM - of which the first would be the safest bet, image quality-wise

AZ

Comment

Well, what I meant was (my question was actually quite confusing):

In a setup with the Kyro and the G450 PCI, you have a total of 3 vga outputs. Suppose you have 2 monitors, a first (with 2 inputs) connected to both the Kyro and the first G450 output; and a second monitor connected to the second G450 output.

Basically, the Kyro is then used for gaming (no dual head required). Using a monitor with 2 inputs, the first vga-output of the G450 could go the same monitor as the Kyro.

In "office" use, the G450 would be used, and actually I was asking if in this situation there is a dual-head possible with only both outputs of the G450 PCI (with a second monitor connected to the second output). If I understand correctly, this is possible (with both displays at different resolutions :cool .

But while I was asking this, I also wanted to know if this dual head would also be possible if the Kyro would drive the first display, while the second output of the G450 would drive the second monitor (but this would perhaps be less usefull). I'm guessing (based on bacon's reply) this ought to be possible, but as it has less use, it is less important.

az: The first would be the best bet, not only image-quality wise, but also price-wise. Adding the price of a decent KVM switch to the price of a monitor, I can buy a much better monitor !

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X