Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Video Editing

Stringy,

I have a Marvel G400 on my desktop and a Sony Vaio PII366 laptop which has a firewire interface to allow capture of DV which can be edited using Premier.

The problem with the laptop is the small size of the harddisk, i also find that when i connect using the network to the desktop i still can't play AVI fles from it because of the Matrox card. I can play MPEG1 files okay, unfortunately laptops are still not versatile enough for editing, i would keep to your desktop if i were you.

Tony
    To understand life we should remove complexity and find simplicity.
    Tony 1999

Laptop or not, I'd just like to have enough spare time at "work" to do my editing....
    PII350, MarvelG200, MSP5.2, PromiseFT w/2x8.4's, SB-PCI128

Comment

Certainly you can edit on a laptop. Somne considerations though:

* If your working on a project that going to be output to tape or uses hi-res images, use a lower res version of all your clips to save HD space and reduce processing time for f/x. Then import the project into your home system and replace the clips with the originals

* Get a laptop with at least 128 megs of memory and a 6 gig hd.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        Robmcl- Join the Fire Brigade!
        Stewman- Sounds like good advice.
        Wiz-I keep the size of my projects down to less than 650Mb so that I can store them on CD. HD space shouldn't be a problem but speed would be. Not owning a laptop I wasn't sure if the drives are fast enough. That's why I thought a SCSI Orb might be the way to go as its specs are similar to hdd's.

Has anyone used an Orb for video editing and found them reliable?

Comment

Laptop Video Editing

Anyone had any experience with using a laptop for editing videos? I would like to edit at work as I have a lot of free time. Would one of the newer faster laptops PII or PIII cope? I was thinking I would capture using my desktop then transfer the files over to the laptop for editing using MSP 5.2 and then transfer back to the desktop for final output to tape. Would 2 harddrives be an advantage or would I be better off using removable storage such as an 'Orb'?
          Thanks
          stringy

Comment

There is also the possibility of using a FireWire HD. It's difficult to find some that will work with PC's LaCie is for Mac only), but these will work with Windows:
            http://www.vsttech.com/vst/products.nsf/pl_firewire

You can keep track of the FireWire-development here: http://www.michael-amorose.com/firewire/

Comment

Hi

I don't have any laptop experience, but the latest Feb) issue of Computer Video does follow a series of experiments in trying to get a Dell laptop to capture video. The main thrust is that the base station is needed to install (your choice) video capture devices sine these wont fit in the laptop itself.

I think that for the rest of the article you should try the CV website [url}(http://www.computervideo.net/)[/url]

Comment

Working...
              X