G550 faster in 3D than G400-MAX ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 faster in 3D than G400-MAX ???

will the g550 be faster than a g400max, i mean theoratically???

is 64bit-ddr faster than g400max's sgram???

------------------
    >> Surfwienix <<

My System:

AMD K6-2/400 non-o/c
    Epox MVP3C-M Super7 (VIA 4.29)
    128MB SDRAM(PC100), CAS2
    Matrox Millennium G400 MAX (old-school: 2xAGP)
    [6.51/5.52, DX 8.0a, 2xAGP, 256MB Apert.Size, IRQ11(not sharing), non-o/c]
    Terratec DMX Sound-System
    6,4GB Maxtor HDD (UDMA33)
    20,4GB Maxtor HDD (UDMA33)
    Samsung SW-408 CDR/RW (Mode 2)
    ASUS 50x-CDROM (UDMA33)
    Realtek 8019 Ethernet (ISA)
    Creatix V.90 Modem (PCI)
    19" Monitor CTX-VL950T (95khz)
    21" HP A4033A (2nd Display)
    Windows 98SE (IE 5.5) / 2000 Server (IE 6.0) @ True DualHead-Mode
    my system:

AMD XP 2000+
    Abit KTA7 (VIA 4.49)
    512MB SDRAM133
    Matrox Millennium G400 MAX (5.91, AGP 2x)
    Windows XP Prof

According a post by Haig at Matrox tech support, it's faster than the Max.

Rags

Comment

I'd say it heavily depends on the clock speeds, because a 2nd TMU oper pixel pipeline will help the performance quite a bit ...
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I think we´ll have to wait and see.

My guess is that if they get memory running at least at 200 Mhz it could be performing near MX levels, so yes, better than G400.

64 bit DDR theoretically has the same Bandwidth as 128 SDRAM/SGRAM at same clock speeds. But in the real world DDR it´s a tad slower.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Surfwienix:
          and why?</font>
          because of latency issues that are inherent with DDR.

Rags

Comment

When Haig was asked if it would be faster than a G400 or a G400Max he said the G400. Not conclusive, but good enough for me to know it's not an option for me.

Comment

I've had a crazy idea (now, hand in there for this one, it's quite complicated), I'm going to wait for the benchmarks to see how fast it is

btw, don't suppose Matrox mentioned a shipping date? I'm bored enough now to go looking through all the releases anyway Brb...

P.
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I too am very curious to see the benchmarks. I'm not ready to get rid of my G400 max yet, but I'll need to replace it someday.

The G500 will have less memory bandwidth than the G400 at identical clock speeds, but it should have better texturing performance and better fill rate. So it all depends on how fast they get the clocks to run. Until that's announced every thing is just speculation.

------------------
                http://www.3dcgi.com/
                http://www.3dcgi.com/

Comment

It will be faster than the MAX, better for DVD's and has a few extra features that the MAX lacks.

Can't wait to get mine

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

But how exactly, will it be better for DVDs? I didn't see any motion compensation in HW. What technology did they introduce/improve in this area?
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well, seeing that you are planning it for your systems already......I will take a G400 off your hands....cheap

-Dil
                      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by xortam:
                        But how exactly, will it be better for DVDs? I didn't see any motion compensation in HW. What technology did they introduce/improve in this area?</font>
                        xortam, are you saying that cards which accelerate motion compensation output better quality? I hope not...

Rags

Comment

No ... I'm saying that it would reduce CPU usage which would make it better for DVD viewing. HW assist would help lower spec CPUs to play DVDs smoothly. I would like to see MPEG-2 decoding in a Matrox graphics card. But what did they do with the G550 that supposedly improves DVD playback?
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I dunno, right now with my G400 Max, running a DVD results in 35-45% CPU usage. So by adding HWMC, it should drop to around 15-25% (that's what my Radeon does). Doesn't seem worth it IMO, and I prefer the DVD output of my G400 Max over the Radeon. But that's just my preference.

Rags

Comment

The HTPC folks consider the Radeon to deliver the best DVD output. One of the reasons given is its 10-bit RAMDAC. Another reason is its T&R flexibility so HDTV users can optimally set their ouput. It also has the potential to bypass the color space conversion and output native yPbPr, but I don't know if anyone's developed drivers to enable this yet. I haven't seen the Radeon so I can only go on what the general consensus is in the HTPC community.

Comment

Working...
                              X