Marvel capture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel capture

I wonder if anyone out there has had the following problem, AND found an answer?
    When capturing,(using Matrox PC-VCR)I get a jump in the picture on a left or right pan. I've tried lowering the capture settings, and also trying all the different capture settings available. But to no avail. I'm capturing S-VHS. The default setting for the card is: 1/4 pal (352X288) capturing at 6.9:1 There are not many dropped frames reported after capture; maybe 2 to 8. Any ideas please?

Arthur S.

System:
    Win 98 1st edition. 400 P11 CPU. QDI Legend motherboard. 128RAM. Matrox Marvel AGP graphics/capture card.(8meg) 17inch ADI Microscan monitor. SB 128PCI soundcard. Fujitsu 4.5gig system HDD. Fujitsu 10gig HDD for capture. (The only programmes on this drive are Matrox video tools and MS 5.2 VE) Quantum fireball 8gig HDD for rendering the finished video file to. The drives benchmark with the supplied programme at about 3.50 - 6.00 - 8.50 mb/sec respectively. This varies somewhat every time that I run the benchmark programme.

maybe your tv capture is bad.. try a RR.

Comment

It now seems that the glitch is NOT at the capture stage, But actually with video coming in to the PC. I THINK I've got the latest powerdesk/video tools for my card. Can anyone advise me of the right versions for a Marvel G200 AGP? Also have a Hitachi DVD drive. Don't know if this matters or not. Also, should they be on the system/boot disk or on the HDD used for capturing to?

ANY help much appreciated.

Arthur.

Comment

PD5.3, VT 1.51 are probably your best bet.

Re-reading your original post, do I understand that you have the capture/editing programs on your AVI drive instead of your "system" drive ?

If so, it MIGHT explain your problem. Panning can cause a higher datarate, and if the same HD is being used for storing captured video and communicating with program segments and swap files etc, it is quite possible to get conflicts resulting in frame drops.

Ideally you need your capture drive to be completely empty, and defragged frequently when you actually have to keep some video data on it.

Comment

Well I guess that the main thing is that you don't seem to be dropping frames on capture, and the final product prints back to tape without any problems.

Still, it's not something that I've experienced with a Marvel. It sounds more like a small glitch in the overlay, which I have seen with both Miro DC10 and DC30's (using various overlay cards). Certainly I'd advise you to uninstall all of your editing software, your VTs and your powerdesk, clean the registry, format your D: and E: drives and then reinstall PD, VT and then MS into your C: drive. Make sure that you run quickconnect and HDtest after installation !

All this because your drivers and software should reside on your system HD while captures should be on their own drive. Nice if you've got a third drive to render to, but that will make very little difference to the rendering speed.

Comment

Working...
          X