Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great to see the G550 Max

Well, not really.

If the prejudgments telling that G550 might be just on par with the MX-200 in 3D, a Max version should at least be able to compete with an MX-400.

As we all know, manufaturing technology hasn't changed since the G450 and there's never been a higher clocked version of this card, but still:

Faster memory to allow clock rates up to 220 or 250 MHz is not too uncommon any more (it's already used on many GTS Pro and MX-400 boards) and should add an unacceptable price tag. The question is, wether or not Matrox is able (and willing) to push the chips core clock above G400 Max levels or not.

I've seen quite a few postings here from people sharing my own opinion: I'd gladly pay a highr price if this bastaed of a card was only reasonably faster than a G400 Max.

Dream mode off.

--E<:|

[This message has been edited by harkpabst_meliantrop (edited 21 June 2001).]

I'll bet my panties that the G550 will be a pretty hefty overclocker, just like almost all Gxx0 cards are ...

my G450 came with clock settings of 125/166(333) core/mem and after adding a fan on top of its heatsink, I can push it up to 180/180(360) which is quite a boost.

It'll still be bottlenecked by its 64bit memory bus though and therefore it's really hard to tell in advance how good it'll perform compared to other cards.

Cheers,
    Maggi
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Maggi:
      It'll still be bottlenecked by its 64bit memory bus though and therefore it's really hard to tell in advance how good it'll perform compared to other cards.
      </font>
      Very true, Maggi.

At least, conditions are exactly the same for GeForce 2 MX based boards. Not that the MX is such a great performer (I tried one once but decided to keep my trusty G400), but for sure it beats even the G400 Max easily in all recent gaming titles.

Comment

I wont speak for other people but I am happy to pay up £150 for a G550 with 128bit ddr and a clock speed of 200mhz+. All things being equal that should give a fill rate of 2-3 times that of a G450.

Maggi
        Thats a very impressive 45% increase. Now if only matrox wouldnt be so conservative about their clock/memory speeds.

ps I'm sure a G550 (Max/Pro/Ultra) would be a fairly impressive performer.

regards MD
        Interests include:
        Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

The major factor in the cost of the card, is usually the memory. The GeForce generation is largely differentiated by clock speed, not just of the core, but of the memory. So, for Matrox to scrap pin compatibility, add high speed RAM...um, don't think it would be worth it for this card.

Even a fusion based on 64bit DDR chips wouldn't relieve the memory bandwidth...or would it?

Anyway, gamers can only hope there's something due to follow this. Matrox....come on!

P.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Pace:
            The GeForce generation is largely differentiated by clock speed, not just of the core, but of the memory.
            So, for Matrox to scrap pin compatibility, add high speed RAM...um, don't think it would be worth it for this card.
            </font>
            Exactly. But 64bit DDR memory is just what almost all GeForce MX boards are using (only one board comes with 128bit SDR RAM instead). So, Matrox would not have to sacrifice anything to get memory speed up to at least MX-400 level. They just had to use the same kind (selection grade) of memory that is used on thousands of GeForce MX boards anyway.

Gainward sells an MX-400 board running at no less than 240 MHz (DDR) memory clock. And while it's still limited by the 64bit memory bus, the performance of this board is not that far off a standard GeForce 2 GTS, using 166 MHz 128bit DDR RAM (as the core is clocked higher anyway).

Surely, a G550 Board running at say 200/250 MHz would still be no gamers best friend. But, hey, how many more people are buying only GeForce MX instead of GeForce 2 GTS Ultra boards and still think they own the greatest piece of hardware ever made.

If a conservatively clocked G550 sells for little more than an MX-200 board ... why shouldn't it be possible to get a G550 Max going for little more than an MX-400 card? Even if it doesn't support hardware T&L ...

Comment

Working...
            X