Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with G400 resolution

Hi,

I have just updated to the latest version of Powerdesk (6.51) from 6.23 and started to get a strange problem. If I change resolution (either desktop resolution, or in any kind of game) the viewable are actually shrinks or grows depending on the new resolution.

e.g. I was set to 1024x768 and when I changed it to 800x600, the fill screen (taskbar and all) was shrunk by about a third and positioned in the middle of my monitor with a big black border. I fiddled with my monitor to stretch the screen to the size of the monitor and started up Unreal Tournament in 640x480. Again, the screen was shrunk with a black border around it.

I uninstalled the previous drivers first - and the resolutions switched fine under 6.23.

I have never updated the BIOS since I bought the card (around when it was first released). I was wondering if this would make any difference. (Just what does a Bios update do anyway?)

Any ideas?

Uppity.

Duron 750
    Gigabyte GA7-XE4 Mobo
    128 Ram
    Matrox G400 DH
    SB Live
    Maxtor 40G HD
    Uppity

I believe the new drivers used different timings in their resolution maps so you're monitor doesn't see that you've previously modified these new timings and displays that resolution/color-depth at its default size.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Hmm, Any idea what I can do about it?

All I know about my monitor is that its a 15" plug and play.

Thx,
      Uppity
      Uppity

Comment

Some monitors have a reset switch that (as the name implies) resets all user defined modes, so only the factory supplied modes are left. Also, I'm under the impression that some monitors tend to "forget" about these setting from time to time even if you don't hit the reset switch.

However, xortam might just be right with his guess as well.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Uppity:
        Hmm, Any idea what I can do about it?
        </font>
        After re-adjusting your monitor for each resolution you use, everything should be fine again.

The only other problem you could come across is, that the number of user defines modes is limited. Once all modes are used, your monitor might reconfigre a mode that is still working O.K. So, in worst case you might be forced to do parts of the work twice ...

--E<:|

[This message has been edited by harkpabst_meliantrop (edited 21 June 2001).]

Comment

Working...
        X