PAL on NTSC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAL on NTSC?

I have a question regarding a post about using PAL with an NTSC system that was in this forum a while back. I have an NTSC VCR and a G200 Marvel board. Is is possible for me to put a PAL tape in my VCR, set the Video Tools for PAL and view it? Or would I need a PAL VCR for that?

If your VCR is not dual-standard, no. I have a Thomson VCR which automatically detects NTSC/PAL/SECAM signals from outside or from tape and sends everything out in PAL to the TV, but it will record in any of them. A single standard VCR will record/playback/transmit only the standard for which it was designed.

------------------
    Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Since the UK and what of Europe which uses PAL is a relative small market compared to the US you tend to find multistandard TVs and NTSC on PAL VCRs. This isn't true in the US since they need not concern themselves with the PAL standard.

You could buy PAL equipment and get a power supply convertor (to drop from 230 to 110V). As Brian Ellis says you can also get multistandard VCRs which offer PAL/NTSC/SECAM recording/playback. Panasonic make one called the W1 I think. This plays any type of standard and output whatever you want.

You could also buy a PAL VCR and a framebuffer (the Marvel) and convert to NTSC.

Salacious

Comment

Working...
      X