X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 Detail docs

links here:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/t.../mill_g550.cfm

Take a look at the chip spec. On the third page, there are listed the "Video and Multimedia features." Notice toward the bottom, you see "Full WDM support for video capture." What exactly does this mean? Video capture makes me think Marvel, not standard. Are some of these features integrated?

The same document notes "Support for HDTV." So does this mean that we can watch HDTV broadcasts? That also sounds like a Marvel feature.

Also notice in the same features section the distinct lack of any real dvd-accelerating features. No iDCT still. Ick. So much for those hopes...

Still more: Some interesting nuggets in the "fact sheet." In the compliance and compatibility section, they mention X86-64 and IA-64. Very interesting, but I'm betting that'll be in the same boat (or rather not in the box) as the OpenGL drivers promised a ways back.

BTW, all of these details are different than in the G450 tech docs. That really makes me wonder about the Full WDM support for video capture" feature. Is it a typo?

[This message has been edited by BryceMan (edited 20 June 2001).]
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, My name is not Bryce and I'm not a man...

--
    "Full WDM support for video capture." What exactly does this mean? Video capture makes me think Marvel, not standard. Are some of these features integrated?
    --

Perhaps the chip has instructions for WDM support, but this part of the instruction set is not used on the G550 ? Perhaps a Marvel model coming later ?

--
    "Support for HDTV." So does this mean that we can watch HDTV broadcasts?
    --

It only states HDTV playback. I'd think they only refer to playing back a HDTV recording (e.g. on DVD or on harddisk) at HDTV quality (more lines, ... in stead of just the regular PAL/NTSC output).

Nevertheless, it's interesting !

Jörg

PS: Will I/we be banned to the Crystal Ball for this topic ?
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

We'd better not be! ;-) We're merely speculating on what the details of actual announced products mean. :-)
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, My name is not Bryce and I'm not a man...

Comment

Working...
      X