X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 unanswered questions

From all the nice announcements I couldn't find any answer to following Qs:
    // I collect all the info I'll receive to this post

Q: What is the max primary monitor resolution if one wants to use DVDMax?
    A: ???

Q: What kind of TV out it has? Is RGB supported?
    A: Most likely (dZeus)

Q: Is there any DVD acceleration (motion compensation)?
    A: No more than G400 (rylan)

Q: Is there a support for PAL60?

Q: Can aspect ratio be changed dynamically (like for current cards via registry)?

Q: Is the PAL DVDMax playback usable?

If someone has information about these Q-s, feel free to share Your inf. Please avoid Crystal ball information.

[This message has been edited by prr (edited 19 June 2001).]

Well, I can answer your 3rd question.. none. No more dvd acceleration than what the G400 chip has (sup-pixel interlopation or something). Its basically the same damned core as the G400 with the crippled "T&L" instructions that are only used for the heacrasting crap.

Comment

1 For more information on our bulk products and integration opportunities, please contact your local Matrox sales office.
      2 - 360 MHz for primary display (resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 @ 32bpp)
      - 230 MHz for secondary display (resolutions up to 1600 x 1200 @ 32bpp)
      - Multi display resolutions up to 1600 x 1200 @ 32 bpp on both displays

edit
      OK I guess these don't answer any of your Qs

[This message has been edited by DentyCracker (edited 19 June 2001).]
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

1 For more information on our bulk products and integration opportunities, please contact your local Matrox sales office.

There aren't any... And I'm not willing to make any international calls to find out that inf

- 360 MHz for primary display (resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 @ 32bpp)

Sorry, You misunderstood the Q (or I the answer). I'm intrested what is the max res of monitor while DVDMax is active (1024x768x16 is the number for G450) and whether the RGB output for TV exists.

Comment

it does, in fact have motion compensation as far as i know, might be wrong though

Comment

IF it would have motion comp, they surely would advertise it.

And why wouldn't it have RGB TV output capability? it's very similar to the G450, and that one does have this capability.

Comment

The leaked info yesterday mentioned DVD acceleration. Matrox talks about the high quality DVD playback and their competitor sheet shows it with superior DVD playback but nowhere does it say anything about HW assist (e.g. motion compensation). This would be my biggest disappointment if that's really true, which I must conclude by its omission in any Matrox literature.

The chip spec says that it has an "Integrated TV encoder." I'm willing to bet that's a misprint.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by prr:

There aren't any... And I'm not willing to make any international calls to find out that inf

- 360 MHz for primary display (resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 @ 32bpp)

Sorry, You misunderstood the Q (or I the answer). I'm intrested what is the max res of monitor while DVDMax is active (1024x768x16 is the number for G450) and whether the RGB output for TV exists.
                </font>
                Hi prr,

I'm sitting on my working rig that has a G400 32 DH, running Win2k in true DH mode, ie. 1280x960x32bpp@100Hz on VGA1 and 1280x1024x32bpp@75Hz on VGA2 ... guess what ?

I just had a peek into one of my personal DVD backups (DivX in 704x384) and it ran just great on my VGA2 in fullscreen using DVD Max.

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">The leaked info yesterday mentioned DVD acceleration. Matrox talks about the high quality DVD playback and their competitor sheet shows it with superior DVD playback but nowhere does it say anything about HW assist (e.g. motion compensation). This would be my biggest disappointment if that's really true, which I must conclude by its omission in any Matrox literature.</font>
                  It's not on the chips spec list, so it's not in the chip... that's my logical deduction. And it wouldn't fit in into Matrox 'policy' either (they seem to do as many things in software as possible as long as the average CPU sold permits it).

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">The chip spec says that it has an "Integrated TV encoder." I'm willing to bet that's a misprint.</font>
                  ???? of course it has... the G450 had it as well (though I'm wondering HOW much of the original maven chip is now done in the G450/550 core, and what is now done in software (equals higher CPU load)).

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 19 June 2001).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by dZeus:
                    ... ???? of course it has... </font>
                    My misinterpretation ... I was thinking video capture, which of course I knew wasn't on the G550 (will they do a Marvel?).

<TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Maggi,
                      I don't have any problem with my G400, too.
                      I wasn't talking about G400, I was talking about G450. And I know lot of people, who have to switch down to 1024x768x16 to watch DVD. Thats sick, IMHO.
                      G550 seems to be based on G450. So, I'm intrested, what is the official red line for it.

I'm really afraid, that if this goes on, I'll have no usable card in few years
                      G400(MAX) was a great card when it was born. To take evolution into account, G550 should be ca 4 times as fast as G400.
                      But I'm sitting here figuring out whether the G550 is at least on the same level to G400

Comment

Prr, Same boat.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Working...
                        X