Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temporary solution ?

Hello,

I am in the market for a new computer (probably a dual AMD, perhaps dual PIII, depending on performance/price/compatibility) for both work (software developement + 3D modeling, occasional 2D image editing) and occasional gaming (who doesn't play ? ).

The first review of the G550 seems a bit disappointing (Anandtech), and there are rumours (not by me !) of a next-gen card (somewhere next year).

Is it a good idea to buy a G450 PCI just for the time being ? If that next-gen card does come out, I could still use the G450 as a secondary display-card; or I might (heaven forbid) abandon Matrox and buy another AGP card (still using the G450 as secondary display). Or should I just buy a common AGP card, and throw it away if no longer needed (but then I'd lack dual head for the time being, plus I hate to abandon working hardware) ?

How does the G450 PCI perform ?

Is the TV-encoder still usable if the card is a secondary display ?

According to the faq, the G450 PCI as issues with non-intel chipsets (bus mastering,lack of DVDmax and OpenGL,...), http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/fa...q/common.cfm#8

Is there a way to overcome these problems (do they occur with all non-intel chipsets) ?

Any other comments (other Matrox PCI-solution ?) are welcome as well !

Thanks,

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)
Working...
X