Sad to say goodbye Matrox.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad to say goodbye Matrox.

With Matrox's decision to cease all support and development of the MJPEG portion of my Rainbow Runner-G Series, I have jerked all the Matrox cards from my system.

W2K support of only RGB capture in the future was the last straw.

Let's review the Matrox cards and accessories I have owned and used.

Matrox Millennium PCI
    Matrox Millennium II PCI
    Matrox G200 AGP
    Matrox TV-Out Addon
    Matrox DVD Hardware addon (another awesome hardware product they ceased all support for)
    Matrox Rainbow Runner-G Series
    Matrox G400 AGP 32MB Dual Head.

The video cards have always provided rocksolid performance and made me a convert. However in the last two years Matrox has been slowly disallusioning me to future Matrox purchases.

First it was the fact that only the original release of the DVD Hardware addon software control was ever produced and very buggy at that. Fortuantely Bixler, Cods and others learned that the SoftDVD 3.5 and latter worked after you installed the Matrox Utility for much improved support. Then W2k, no possiblity for support.

Now it's my Rainbow Runner-G Series, W2K beta drivers for over a year with promises of a new VideoTools at the end of May. What? MJPEG support and development canceled across the board and the new VT's not available for another 3 weeks and only RGB capture at that.

After yanking out the Matrox material, I have purchased an ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 32MB AGP card in combo with a 1394 firewire card. Increadible MPEG2/DVD playback that is hardware assisted with motion-compensation and other hardware assists. Crisp TV Tuner and the ability to capture directly to MPEG2. With my existing system it is recording MPEG2 video very well. Most importantly, rock solid W2K support out of the box.

I have been testing the card out for over a week and have been very pleased with my switch.

Sorry to say goodbye Matrox, it's been real.

:{

------------------
    Profound Runner
    ---- aka Willie -------
    Profound Runner
    ---- aka Willie -------

It's been real.

Rags

Comment

"They can hang misstletoe on my butt and kiss my sweet ass goodbye!"
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I never though I´d ever see "ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 32MB AGP" and "rock solid W2K support out of the box" in the same sentence...

Comment

LOL

He better hope and pray he doesn't use his machine like I do, otherwise that Radeon will be thrown out the window and stomped. ATI+Win2k==HEADACHE!

Rags

Comment

Seems like ATI has a killer combo on their sleeves if they bundle their cards with paracetamol then

Comment

Had to look that one up dZeus.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Features of Paracetamol:
              Its analgesic (pain relief) and antipyretic (fever relief) effects are comparable to those of aspirin. ... </font>

AFA the Radeon, I understand its the current card of choice among HTPC users. I don't know what percentage of those people have installed it in W2K systems though.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Actually, paracetamol shouldn't be used too often for headaches, otherwise they will get worse in time.

And I would rather buy a trident than an ati. (Both are crap but a trident is cheaper)

Comment

Heh. But compared to Matrox, ATI at least doesn't look like it's about to abandon the driver support for their card. :P
                  Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

They have only released betas for the AIW (so am I told by a frustrated AIW owner)...
                    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

They have win2k drivers for their All in Wonder 128? Last time I heard, they were done releasing drivers for it...

Rags

Comment

Nuno: I might even use that as my sig

Yup, it's been 'real' I'm so phat!

P.
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

"It's been real!"

That expression has been around for decades ... but it's still a good one.

Comment

Xortam: I was referring to Nuno's quote for use as my sig, P.

------------------
                            ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 32MB AGP: Rock solid W2K support out of the box.

Que?!
                            Meet Jasmine.
                            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Pace:
                              Xortam: I was referring to Nuno's quote for use as my sig, P.
                              </font>
                              Its your choice.
                              <hr><TABLE BGCOLOR=Yellow><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Red>"It's been real!"</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X