Problems with G400/VIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with G400/VIA

Hi! I haven't posted here for a long time. After reformatting my hard disk and reinstalling Win98, I started having problems with my system in 3D apps.

1. Unreal Tournament: starts and after a few seconds of displaying 3D objects, crashes to the desktop with some error about the D3D system. Software mode runs fine.

2. 3DMark2000: runs every test except the 16MB and 32MB texture rendering speed tests. In these 2 tests, the loading screen shows, and just as the textures are about to be completely loaded, the program crashes back to the desktop without any error. The 8MB texture rendering speed test runs fine.

3. 3DMark2001: can't run at all. Even the first test crashes to the desktop before even starting.

4. Heavy Gear II: not sure whether it's related, but I had to switch off Detailed Textures. With it on, numerous textures will disappear and all I see are white patches on the models. Minor problem, honestly, compared with the rest.

I've tried using the VIA 4.24 and 4.31 4-in-1 drivers (tried the AGP VXD in both normal and turbo modes), G400 6.51, 6.50, 6.23 drivers (maybe I should try the 6.22 certified drivers?). I tried using AGP2X/4X. It's definitely not a heat problem (I cooled the card well). It's not a card seating problem either. I even tried using the G400 1.04 BIOS instead of 2.07, to no avail. It's also not an IRQ conflict, since the G400 is on IRQ 11, sharing only with the ACPI IRQ holder.

The strange thing was, before reformatting my hard disk, apps could actually run fine. At that time, I used the 4.24 VIA 4-in-1 drivers (in turbo mode), PD 6.51 and 1.04 BIOS (I forgot to update it!), and it worked perfectly! I just reformatted and this happened!! =(

System specs:
    AMD Athlon Tbird 1GHz
    ASUS A7V mobo
    128MB PC-133 SDRAM
    IBM 30GB HDD
    G400 32MB SH vanilla (no overclocking)
    Internal Zip-100 drive
    32r/8w/?rw CD-RW drive (can't remember)
    Win98 Gold (planning to get XP when it comes out)

System BIOS is set to AGP fast writes off, video shadow off, video mem cache mode set to the default UC (uncacheable) and not USWC (uncacheable, speculative write combining, not that I know what this means), though setting it to USWC doesn't seem to have any effect. AGP aperture size set to 256MB. Spread spectrum control is on, though I just read on this BB that it should be off. Would it have any effect? It was on before the reformat, and the system worked.

Oh I forgot something. After reformatting, I also flashed my system's Award BIOS to the newest version. Could that have caused the problem?

Would appreciate any help! Thanks! =)

(At least everything else works fine. I'm just bugged to death that all's not well with my system.)

You might try raising the AGP Aperture size in you motherboard's BIOS to 128 or 256.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I have! It's at 256MB. Oh I just switched off spectrum spread control and the problems still occur, so it's not that...

Thanks anyway for the prompt reply! =)

Comment

Okay, I've solved the problems. All I had to do was to change the AGP Aperture size from 256MB to 128MB. That, for some reason, solved all the problems! =)

Comment

Working...
        X