G400 crashing continually

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 crashing continually

Last week I installed the latest bios (2.07) and the latest drivers (5.52) for my G400 Dualhead (under win2K). Since then I've had continual crashes, 9 times out of 10 preceeded by total corruption of the display.

I assume this is related to my updates and therefore, before I start by rolling back from both these versions I wondered if anyone else had had the same problem and if so, was it the drivers or the bios at fault?

System as a whole:
    Duron 700, Abit KT7 mobo, 256Mb RAM, G400 Dualhead 32Mb, SB Live, USB dsl.

Did you fully uninstall the old drivers before putting the new ones in?
    If not, you should try that.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I also "upgraded" my G400 DH to 2.07 BIOS and 6.51 (win98) drivers.
      Since the upgrade I get video corruption - resulting in having no choice but to shut the PC down and re-boot.
      Yes - I did completely un-install the old drivers (6.10 I think) before installing the 6.51 drivers.

Hmmm - from this info then - it appears that the 2.07 BIOS could be the issue???

Comment

Yep also uninstalled the old drivers. This is my 3rd Matrox card so I'm fairly familiar with the best way to get things going.

I'll give rolling the bios back a bit a go and if not I'll sell the card and pick up something else altogether.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by atlaz:
          Yep also uninstalled the old drivers. This is my 3rd Matrox card so I'm fairly familiar with the best way to get things going.

I'll give rolling the bios back a bit a go and if not I'll sell the card and pick up something else altogether.
          </font>
          Couple of questions.

How did you uninstall your drivers?

How did you install the 5.52 drivers? (step by step)

Rags

Comment

I un-installed the previous G400 drivers using Matrox's un-install version - the latest that they had on their web site (pd_unin201.exe) - rebooted and installed the standard VGA drivers - then ran setup from the extracted 6.51 drivers.
            Before I did all this - I upgraded the BIOS - again using Matrox's procedure and software.

I've had the G400 years now - I've upgraded the BIOS and drivers regularly - but never had these issues.
            I'm going to downgrade the BIOS before I remove and replace the card with a GeForce2 I've just purchased. The G400 will then go into another machine on my LAN.

Comment

You lost me there, Kevin.

Are you or are you not running win2k? If so, you should not be running the setup from the 6.51 drivers, and you don't have a choice of selecting standard vga adapter...ever.

To uninstall PROPERLY, you goto add/remove programs/Matrox Software, uninstall, and reboot, then when windows picks up your card, you hit CANCEL. Then to install the drivers, you just run the setup from the extracted 5.52 drivers.

Rags

Comment

Kevin is running win9x

Atlaz is running w2k
                System 1:
                AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                Epox 8K7A
                2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                SBLIVE 5.1
                Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                3Com Hardware Modem
                Teac 20/10/40 burner
                Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

yep - correct... I'm on Win98.
                  Before downgrading the BIOS the PC crashed 2 times in 1 hour... all the same: video corruption, then complete crash.
                  I then downgraded from 2.07 to 2.03, still running 6.51 and the machine was stable again for about 2 hrs.
                  I guess it could be a compatability issue with my MoBo (CUSL2) or it's BIOS (1002 IIRC).
                  Anyway - the G400 is in another machine now.

Comment

Well I am Using the 2.03 BIOS ver with 6.51 on a win98SE system and i dont have any of the above mentioned problems.
                    I have using matrox cards for sometime now i always update one thing at a time.. saved me a lot of time troubleshooting if anything goes wrong..

Kelvin downgrading your bios seem to be the best option

------------------
                    config of my rig :^)
                    Matrox G400 DH 32MB
                    AMD Duron 650Mhz
                    ASUS A7V
                    128MB PC133 SDRAM
                    SB Live Value!
                    AltecLansing 45.1 Spkrs
                    "It does not matter how many times you fall down as long as you get up and go on."
                    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Downgrading the BIOS didn't help me. For details, go to the Matrox Installation and Configuration Forum, do a search for user name zerotech1 and check "trouble after bios update" (that one got me banned).
                      So far the BIOS 207/driver v6.51 combo has worked for me (no crashes), just the problems mentioned in the Matrox forum posting. My next system is going to have a GeForce3 in it.
                      When all else fails, FDISK!

Comment

Keep that smartass shit up and you will be here too. D'oh!
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well I rolled back the drivers and it still crashed. Then I restored the drivers and rolled back the bios and it continued to crash. Rolled them both back and it is stable again.

Nice work from Matrox.

Comment

Atlaz, it's exactly the same problem I've been having. Strangest thing is it comes and goes, I've been thinking it might have something to do with VIAs 4-in-1, I hadn't had this problem for a long time until I updated to the latest 4-in-1 a few days ago.

So, what versions did you get to work? I wouldn't like to roll back 4-in-1, since I imagine that I got quite a performance increase a few versions ago...

Right now I'm at 5.52, 2.1 (BIOS), DX8, 4.32 (4-in-1) and latest BIOS for KT7. Obviously a no-go.

We're running almost exactly the same hardware, too:
                            Win2k SP2
                            D600@1000
                            Abit KT7-RAID
                            320 MB RAM
                            G400 SH 16 MB
                            SB Live!
                            +NIC, burner & all that s**t

Comment

Oh!! No!! Not the VIA chipset again....LOL

Paul
                              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
                              X