No announcement yet.

With G450 : System crashes (Blue-screen VMM error) when I shutdown WindowsME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With G450 : System crashes (Blue-screen VMM error) when I shutdown WindowsME

Using Matrox G450.
    Windows ME.
    DirectX 8.0 (with 7.0 also crashed).
    (Duel Head Mode) 2 Monitors yummy. :-)

Machine runs fine the whole day.
    but.....
    When I select shutdown windows starts to shutdown...and almost gets there (desktop closes)

But right at the end, either the machine hangs or I get a blue-screen saying the VMM file crashed.

Are there any patches for this problem ?

I've have tried the latest drivers but I can't even turn on the duel-head seen as though you need to re-start for the changes to take effect and once the crashing has stopped and I'm re-started it has forgotten that I've tried to turn on the duel head and askes me again.....and so on.

What all can I try to debug the problem.
    Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

My guess is that one of your tray programs doesn't play well with others when you shut down. When Windows closes, it shuts down open windows, then the desktop, then all other processes running in the background before closing down and rebooting.

Try closing all your background programs manually (even using Ctrl-Alt-Del if you need to) so that nothing but Explorer and the systray is running, then try the shutdown process. If it works fine, then all you have to do is identify the problem program from the ones in your startup group.

Hope that helps.

---------------------
    Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 24 May 2001).]

Comment

Hi Leslie, welcome to the MURC

Can you tell me which drivers you are using for your G450? Also which BIOS it has?

According to the Microsoft Knowledge Base, if you see A Fatal Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C00082CD in VxD VMM(01) +000072CD you need to download the newest drivers, but I'm looking for another couple of things first

Did you increase or decrease your Windows swap file lately? How big is it, and does it have enough space on the drive?
      Can you show me a list of your IRQs?

Oh, and to top if of, what hardware do you use besides the G450?

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

You can disable all of your start-up apps and see if that solves the problem. If it does, start enabling each of them one at a time while testing shutdown. If you still don't isolate the offending app, you can try setting your cache to a fixed size. If that doesn't work, you can try disabling fast shutdown. You might also want to test your memory.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

do you have a sb live card in your system?

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

I typed out a whole long reply.
            Mis-spelled my name and then lost my whole 20 minute reply..sorry.....here's the sort version.

Hardware:
            Mediaforte SF256-PCF (IRQ 5)
            PCI Network card....says it's an Intel card. (IRQ 11)
            2x Samsung 700p SyncMasters.
            Matrox G450 (IRQ 11)

It says the Interupt Request for these 2 hardware items are the same, but my machine is currently running fine,
            the whole of yesterday too.

All Apps running before I shutdown:
            PDesk -
            Pdmmd - Multidesk (was not turned on when I first started having these problems).

Tried shutting down all apps first, machine shutdown fine.
            Tried shutting down will all apps running, machine shutdown fine.
            mmmmm........looks like it's working OK for now........<sigh>

Comment

if your PCI Network card is in pci slot 1 ie next to the G450, then move it to another slot!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Tried shutting down all apps first, machine shutdown fine.
                Tried shutting down will all apps running, machine shutdown fine.
                mmmmm........looks like it's working OK for now........ </font>
                It always does when it's found you've posted your complaint on the MURC

If it comes back though, you know where to find us.

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks for the support Guys. :-)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Jorden:
                  It always does when it's found you've posted your complaint on the MURC
                  </font>
                  <sigh>

My Network & Sound Card are right on the other end of the MotherBoard.....as far as possible from the pretty Matrox card, they always have been....
                  I'm sure if I re-install the Matrox Drivers the problem will re-surface....it's like by shutting-down the PDesk properly once, it has fixed something.

The problem is I'd like to install the latest Drivers but the I can't enable duel-head....because it looses it's last setting changes on the crash.

What can you guys suggest I turn off, or switch off, or plug out, or diable, or something : if the problem comes back, that might give me a hit to where the problem is. I don't have much experience is debugging hardware/driver issues.
                  You guys should know what to disable...settings or hardware profiles.
                  Basic debugging techniques.

Comment

Basic, huh?

First off post the complete list of IRQs, please. Here's how you can do that

Do you know how to get into the BIOS of your motherboard? If so, check for something saying PNP and PCI setup.
                    If you have the option, set PnP OS to No
                    (Some BIOSes have a setting to set it to manual)
                    Set SLOT 1 to IRQ 9 or 10 (if free)
                    Leave the rest on Auto.
                    Exit the BIOS by pressing Esc and finally save settings/changes (Yes)

What kind of CPU do you have? Is it OverClocked as far as you know?

Let's keep it basic, and wait out the answers

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 25 May 2001).]
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                    X