Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forcing programs to 1st or 2nd display...Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing programs to 1st or 2nd display...Possible?

As per the subject,

My config:
    G400 Max Dualhead
    Windows 2000

First, I apologize if this is the wrong forum. If it is, I'd appreciate pointers as to where I *should* post this.

I use several programs that "force" themselves to my primary display.
    I would like to be able to push these programs to my secondary display.

Now, if I run my G400 as one "large" display over the two monitors (i.e. 1600x600) then I can slide it over to the secondary display, but now that Matrox has released true dualhead drivers, I can actually run the two monitors at different resolutions and such, but can't force the programs to the secondary display.

The feature I am thinking of is like what I've seen with the Colorgraphics Predator dualhead graphics cards, which, upon running a program, prompts for running in display one or display 2.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Randy

Welcome aboard.

You're in the right forum. This one, or Powerdesk, but that forum doesn't get used too much...

You should be able to go to your QuickDesk icon in your system tray (single click on the little blue monitor by the clock), and save windows positions when you have them where you want them, or set it to automatic, with a timed interval for how often it saves the positions.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thank you for replying Kruzin.

However, I think, perhaps my question was ambiguous, or I just plain don't understand your answer.

Let's run a scenario.

I enable the "dual-display" mode under the matrox drivers (instead of the one large "stretched" monitor)

Now, I run a program, program X, and it pops up it's window in my primary display. Now, that powerdesk feature sounds handy, but *how* would I get a "primary display only" window (from program X) **onto** my second display in order to have the window "saved"?

A bit clueless on that one......

Randy

Comment

What do you mean by "primary display only window"?
        There are a few poorly written programs like ICQ that you just cant get onto the secondary display. But most programs you can just drag over to the secondary display and save that position.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hmm....ok...here goes..again.. 8-)

ICQ and Callwave are the two primary perpetrators. If I have "stretched" my screen across both displays (using the older NT/2k method), then yes, I can put both ICQ and Callwave onto the second display, as the program just thinks my two monitors are just one "big" monitor (i.e. one "big" primary display).

However, if I enable the new "dual-monitor" support with the later Matrox drivers under Win2k, these two programs see that I have "two" displays, and will not allow me to "drag" their windows onto the second display...they insist on staying on my primary display.
          There seems to be no option for these program to run on the secondary display in this particular display mode. I saw some postings about a program called "Ultramon" which would probably work, but I'd rather not shell out more money for programs...I was hoping perhaps there was an "easier (i.e. free and easy) way to do it..or perhaps Matrox offered a solution....

I do hope that clears things up. Sorry for the confusion

Randy

Comment

Well, I don't know about Callwave, but I do know about ICQ. It's poorly programmed, and does not recognise dual monitors, and will try to dock to the side of your primary display if you try to drag it to the secondary. This is something the authors of ICQ need to fix. I suspect the other program is in the same boat...

Comment

Working...
            X