a moment of silence please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a moment of silence please..

... for i have witnessed the fall of a great card today. a customer brought in his system to have it checked into our service center for failing to work. no video he says. it turns out his video card died(no output or anything.....it was a g400max... please, lets all just take a moment of silence and hope that this card served its duties well and is enjoying its afterlife in the big computer in the sky... whats worse, is the replacement that is being ordered is a radeon VE(i insisted this instead of the Geforce2MX that the tech wanted to install), rather than another Matrox since Gateway doesnt sell systems with Matrox cards anymore.

::sniff sniff::

hehe..
    First Love:
    • Lite-On FS020 enclosure w/4 120mm Panaflos and soon a 172mm Nidec
    • MSI 694D Pro w/ BIOS 1.6
    • 2x800E cC0 Pentium 3 w/ 2xVolcanoII
    • SyncMAX(NEC) PC166 VCM SDRAM 4x128mb w/ CAS = 1
    • nVidia Quadro2 Pro, but Matrox at heart
    • And other non-important stuff like hard drives and a dvd drive
    • Pineapples

Second Love:
    1990 Toyota Celica GT

Yup.
    Maatrox's BIOS recovery util probably would get it going again.
    And if not, the card is still under warranty, and could be RMA'd...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

LOL

Comment

And Warped did nothing to try to revive the card, not even with the options now given? Looks like money does go first at the (OEM) re-sellers. "No Sir, we can't fix it, and your warranty is probably out (we won't check it!! hahaha), so why don't you look at our other great cards we have for you? They only cost you lots of more money than it would cost you to send the card back to Matrox, or try to revive it yourself!! Please... don't do it, we have a wife and 4 children each who need to eat at Mickey Dee every day !! ... or something alike that

Warped... there's always the FAQs... but I won't point to them anymore. No need to. You lost

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hehe, if I were War-ped I would simply stea- erm confiscate the "dead" Max for "testing" and take it home to do same hehehehehehe
          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

well, we couldnt really RMA it considering that is was an aftermarket part. the owner simply wanted it to work, and didnt care of the price(the university was picking up the bill. see where my damn tuition goes towards?).

i tried to swipe it actually. but the tech said she had to give it back to the owner.
            First Love:
            • Pineapples

Second Love:
            1990 Toyota Celica GT

Comment

"well, we couldnt really RMA it considering that is was an aftermarket part"

Usually the RMA has to be done by the person who bought the card. If you had told him that up front, he would've gone to www.matrox.com and registered his card (maybe, if he has internet), or you could've done that as an extra service for him !!

read you = your university?

Then, with no chance of him recovering his card himself, you could have pointed him (up front or inbetween) to either this forum or the Matrox forums for some help. That's what these things are for, you know?

[sigh]

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 09 May 2001).]
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

I bet it was fixable - probably just needed a BIOS recovery

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

had i met the customer, i would have refered that person to calling Matrox to RMA the product. and since our demo systems are connected to the internet, i would have just said he could register it in store.

... this isnt as humourous anymore. damnit.
                  First Love:
                  • Pineapples

Second Love:
                  1990 Toyota Celica GT

Comment

Why complicate life ? Whomever has the card in their hands can call tech supp, tell us the card is dead and we rma it. Simple enough no?

Haig

Comment

Don't belive him... his post # is the sign of the devil

------------------
                      Canadian... Hell Ya!!!
                      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

WOW!! GREAT SUPPORT!!

Wouldn't expect this from ANY company, not even from Matrox

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by az:
                          WOW!! GREAT SUPPORT!!

Wouldn't expect this from ANY company, not even from Matrox

AZ
                          </font>
                          Actually I've seen this before. 3Com had a lifetime warranty on their NIC cards - don't know about now though. Never used it myself, but I do know people who did.

Whyzzi

[This message has been edited by 2Whyzzi (edited 10 May 2001).]
                          ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

Ah, whose lifetime?? The cards? If it was the cards, then when it does, the warranty expires!

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

No need for registration, no need to prove that I've bought it, nothing?

Not unless you have an old product in which case, you would have to provide a p.o.p.

In the case of a G400, they aren't 3 years old, so no need for a p.o.p.

Just call you, send you the card, and I'll get a working one back?

Yep, after a few troubleshooting steps, if it's still dead, we take your info, process the rma and send it off to our rma dep't.

This was allways our standard procedure.

In the case of an old card, tech supp will still process an rma and send it off to them but rma will contact the client asking for a p.o.p. If it's out of the 3 year warranty, client gets a free estimate.

Haig

Comment

Working...
                              X