I´d like to know what the problem is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I´d like to know what the problem is.

I´d like to know if someone has the same problem. I have this problem since I can remember, but I thought it was a driver problem, and so I waited...

In most D3D and OGL 3d games I can see some annoying graphical glitches. Some seem like Z-buffer problems (that have been around forever), others are just a few flashing dots in the 3D wireframe.

Before you post, consider this:

- my card isn´t overclocked;
    - my system is not overclocked;
    - every driver version has this problem;
    - tried with a 32-bit Z-buffer;
    - tried AGP at 1x (it´s at 2x by default)
    - no (visible) conflicts between hardware

What to do? Might it be my motherboard?

System:

G400 16Mb, Celeron 433, Intel Atlanta 440LX mobo, 192 Mb SDRAM PC100, Soundblaster PCI 128, 2 HDDs, 1 ZIP-100 IDE, CD-ROM drive, Intellimouse Optical, Standard keyboard and FDD...

Windows Millenium (fresh install)
    DirectX 8a
    AGP aperture 256 Mb
    Latest BIOS on G400
    AGP texturing enabled and working

HEEELP, I´m considering buying a new card!

Is there any way you can post us a screenshot of what you are referring to?

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

There´s no way that I can post one today, I´m going home tonight only. Also, I don´t have any webroom. Maybe I can e-mail you some jpgs tomorrow?

Games that I can remember: It happened with Vampire: the Masquerade, GLQuake, Hitman: Codename 47, and I´m sure that with a couple of other games. Can it be a driver flaw? It´s not serious, but I´m getting a little bit paranoid over it. Does anyone have ANY graphical glitch in any of these games?

Oh, and Quake 3 and UT seem plagued with Z-buffer problems, even if varying with the driver version. Quake 3 has some glitches even with certified drivers. UT is much better now, though.

[This message has been edited by Alec (edited 08 May 2001).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Alec:
        In most D3D and OGL 3d games I can see some annoying graphical glitches. Some seem like Z-buffer problems (that have been around forever), others are just a few flashing dots in the 3D wireframe.
        </font>
        Most likely it's your LX motherboard. I have asked a similar question last year.
        There's something about LX m/b unable to provide the current needed by newer video cards.
        At least your computer doesn't hang while playing games.

Regards.
        Primary desktop:
        Dell Dimension 4100|P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|ATI Firegl 8700 64MB|SBLIVE|3Com 3C905c|Adaptec 2906|Quantum 40G|FUJITSU 1.3G MO|Iomega 16x10x40x|MGE 480VA UPS|Philips 200P3M|XPPro
        Secondary desktop:
        Generic P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|Matrox G400 32MB DH|SigmaTel audio(build-in)|2 x 3Com 3C9980B|Adaptec 2940UW|Quantum 15G|MGE 500VA UPS|Sony G500|W2K

Comment

That's my guess too. LX motherboard = not enough juice. You're lucky it's just graphical glitches and not total system crash.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

That´s what I suspect the problem is, too. I suspected the drivers, but the problem couldn´t drag itself for so long.

Well, I guess that a new mobo and processor are in order (when I have the cash, that is).

Thanks for your opinions - one more time, MURC saves the day.

Comment

It´s the drivers and in some limitations of the G400. Like the UT horrible z-buffer problems (actually that´s already been fixed in a patch) - that happened because UT was coded to run in cards with a W-buffer and G400 doesn´t have it.

Believe me I´ve tried the G400 in 3 different platforms (BX, AMD750, KT133) and some glitches never run away.

So don´t rush buying new mobo/cpu, that won´t solve it. Run 3dwinbench 2000 (the quality tests) and you´ll see some annoying limitations that never went away with any drivers release.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Alec:
                There´s no way that I can post one today, I´m going home tonight only. Also, I don´t have any webroom. Maybe I can e-mail you some jpgs tomorrow?</font>
                If you want you can email them to me and I'll post them in this thread.
                But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                My System
                2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                German ATI-forum

Comment

I´ve been taking some Hitman screenshots yesterday and found that in the still images the irritating dots (white pixels) were almost non-existant.

I found it strange, but I realized that the dots move around and flash when I play, so, in the screenshot, as it captures one frame only, the problem almost disappears.

So, I guess it´s no use to post images, because you can´t see the artifacts well. I´ll try my G400 in a friend´s computer with a BX board to see what´s up.

Comment

OK, so now I've got a "Hitman" screenshot from Alec with only minor artifacts/dots, but I think it's enough o get the picture.

Here it is:

I had similar "popping pixels" with the G400 mostly in NFS5 - Porsche Unlimited, but also in some other games - they're always popping up at the conjunction/joining (don't know how to exactly say it in english) of polygons.

Those dots were also apparent (but a bit less) with my TNT, so I didn't think a lot about them. Now with the Radeon there are almost no popping dots, and they can be totally avoided using FSAA.

EDIT: When will I finally get those images right the first time?

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 10 May 2001).]
                    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

Alec for the last time (now with pictures)

That´s not platform dependent. Every videocard has its design flaws. The G400 is no exception.
                      About the white dots: I wouldn´t worry too much. It must have to do with edge aliasing, and it must be worse or better depending on the hardware.

Here, white dots:

Now, if ask me for a more serious limitation, here it is: G400 is unable to do perspective correct color/specular/alpha/fog. It only passes the perspective correct texture in 3dwinbench2000. And that ever since the G400 was released, in every driver, in every OS, it did it. To be honest, I don´t really know if the other cards have this glitch or not.

Here´s the 3dwinbench test:

And here´s some possible consequences of it:

Comment

I guess I´m going to save me some money after all...

Thanks you guys, thought I was the only one.

Comment

Working...
                        X