is screen resolution interpretive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is screen resolution interpretive?

i noticed something interesting tonight when i went to ask for help on a chem lab writeup... my friends computer, who runs a g400 vanilla, shows his desktop resolution of 1600x1200 to look smaller than what mine looks like even though i run the same resolution on my g400max. he has a kds monitor while i have an iiyama. has anyone experienced this before? ive always thought that everything looked bigger on my screen than what i thought 1600x1200 should look, but i guess this confirmed it. i havent changed any of the fonts or anything like that. its all on windows standard. any thoughts on this?
    First Love:
    • Lite-On FS020 enclosure w/4 120mm Panaflos and soon a 172mm Nidec
    • MSI 694D Pro w/ BIOS 1.6
    • 2x800E cC0 Pentium 3 w/ 2xVolcanoII
    • SyncMAX(NEC) PC166 VCM SDRAM 4x128mb w/ CAS = 1
    • nVidia Quadro2 Pro, but Matrox at heart
    • And other non-important stuff like hard drives and a dvd drive
    • Pineapples

Second Love:
    1990 Toyota Celica GT

Maybe you have the large print version

But on a serious note... I have noticed it too... but it may be just the vid card differences in my case (GF2, I815, ATI Rage)

Wierd thing is that after a fresh windows install everything is small then as time goes on it gets bigger... kinda like using large fonts or icons...

It may just be my eyes getting used to the resolution though...

------------------
    Canadian... Hell Ya!!!
    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Well you said he has different monitor, which explains it nicely. Your monitor is probably bigger than his, so your 1600x1200 looks bigger than his 1600x1200.
      Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

impact boy, kisssssss on your forehead

My first thought was exactly the same. As Warped doesn't give any dimensions on monitor design, just mfr names, we can but only guess

If the friend's is a 15" and warped's is 17" the difference is completely noticable.

Ofcourse, if both are running a 17", I would look at the mfr of the actual tube used in the monitor, and if either monitor is actually using the 17" (with a measuringtape this is very easily solved. Just hold it diagonally from left top to right corner of the visible screen and give the results...)

Jord
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

oh come on guys.. give me more credit than that. they are both 19" monitors.
          First Love:
          • Pineapples

Second Love:
          1990 Toyota Celica GT

Comment

Perhaps one uses larger inches than the other

I guess it is an illusion. The size is identical, and the screen has the same amount of pixels..

Although I once had a monitor which placed more pixels on the left half of the monitor than on the right half, thus making characters at the left side smaller than on the right side...

Btw, try 1400x1050 on your 19" monitor. Some people like this more than 1600 (incl me)

Comment

Well then Warped, give me a link to kds I can use

In the mean time, take a look at the dimensions given by iiyama for their 19" monitors.

S900 DIMENSION W18.1" x H18.3" x D18.5"
              MF901U DIMENSION W17.7" x H18" x D17.5"
              I91A DIMENSION W17.7" x H18" x D17.5"

You said?

Another thing to look at is the Dot pitch for both monitors. It can matter a lot.

But ofcourse, I can do better than that, huh?

<****ole>
              Jord.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

He is probably using large fonts in display properties/settings/advanced/general, while you are using the windows default (small).

Rags

Comment

nah.. maybe im just goin crazy.. which wouldnt surprise me. his fonts are normal sized and everything like that.

for the record, i have the S901GT monitor.
                  First Love:
                  • Pineapples

Second Love:
                  1990 Toyota Celica GT

Comment

Ok, if you are really intrigued, you might as well set your desktop background color white and go measure how big it is. Then do the same with his monitor and you'll see that it's either an optical illusion (his monitor might be more 'bulky' with wider edges around the screen so that the image appears smaller) or that all the monitors sold as 19" are not really 19" .
                    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
                    X