Not a joke, G450 slower than software mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a joke, G450 slower than software mode

3DStudioMax benchmarks showed G450 slower than softrware mode.
    See it for yourself, check the last garph on the last page.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/3dmax/

------------------
    I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

Then use software mode. Or buy a professional 3D card.

The G450 wasn't meant to use for games, let alone for use with high-end 3D graphics apps...

Comment

But also look at some of the other graphs where the G450 was faster than software and also look at the ones where software was faster than all of them, even the GeFart2s. It's just like you to judge a card based on one graph rather than looking at the whole picture.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Omigod G450 is faster than Radeon in most tests!!!

-Rahul

------------------
        Abit KT7, Duron 700@900, G400 32MB DualHead, 256MB RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, SBLive! Value.
        Running RedHat 7.1 and Windows 2000 Professional.
        Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
        Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

I don't think Matrox works much on their NT drivers. The guy who wrote that says NT OpenGL drivers are more complete and mature. Well judging from the amount of times Matrox updates their NT drivers, I disagree. I would expect Matrox's win2k drivers to be more complete, and therefore would compete better with the big guys. Correct me if I'm wrong.
          Primary system specs:
          Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Well, remember that now, the OpenGL ICDs are interchangeable. So the ICD in the latest NT driver is going to be the same one as the Win2K driver

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Liquid Snake:
              Well, remember that now, the OpenGL ICDs are interchangeable. So the ICD in the latest NT driver is going to be the same one as the Win2K driver </font>
              but only when they get released on the same day ...

no, seriously now, EvilDonnyboy

if you encounter a specific problem using OpenGL under NT, just replace the G400icd.dll with one of the newer releases of either W98 or Win2k.
              There is a good chance that one or the other problems got fixed in a more recent ICD.

Cheers,
              Maggi

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I'm not having any trouble with NT drivers. I don't use NT.

I'm just saying that the guy who wrote the Xbit labs article may have mis-represented Matrox by using a crappy openGL ICD. I would tell him to use a more updated ICD for the next round-up, but it's not like he'd listen to me.

He's not even using the latest NT drivers. The 4.77 NT drivers came out in March. And he's still using the 4.73 drivers.

[This message has been edited by EvilDonnyboy (edited 07 May 2001).]
                Primary system specs:
                Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

EvilDonnyBoy

I don't think a minor driver revision is going to affect the final score much. The G450 card is no FireGL 2 card, and matrox have already outlined their policy on not providing optimiszed opengl support.

The G450 actually does very well until it needed to do anti-aliased lines, which is probably a hardware defeciency.
                  80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

OWW!!!
                    'SuperDuperVision' makes the worlds first 23" LCD monitor - This means it MUST be BETTER than 'Sony's' crappy 21" LCD monitors!!!

Sony is like SOOOO CRAAAP!!!

(not!)

Comment

Well, if software is so strong, (as proven by so many graphs) why can't Matrox tweak their drivers to use more CPU power for the things the CPU is better at anyway ? You don't pay >100$ for a video card that actually slows your system down.

When I bought my good old mill 1, I learned that CPU + Graphic card > CPU alone.
                      Once this equation doesn't work, something must be awfully wrong.

------------------
                      I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

Comment

Maybe rugger's right - maybe the hardware is being forced to do something it is not really optimised to be capable of it(?).

Dogbert, im sure that this isn't the case for EVERYTHING else the card can do!!! Just a minor 'deficiency'!

Comment

The G450 is NOT intended for use with 3DSMAX, and Matrox officially state that OpenGL is NOT their primary concern - you shouldn't be complaining. All the G450 is about is clear and crisp 2D and DualHead, and I guess it's quite good at it.

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Matrox is first and foremost concerned with 2D. Even the spiffy features of the G400 (EMBM, for example) are simply "added value" features for them.

The G450, for example, is a step forward in 2D (better DAC, I think) but backwards in 3D (slower 3D due to bad memory architecture). But Matrox don't care.

As for professional GL work - NOBODY's card is really well optimized for that. Some cards accelerate more functions than others, but designing a card to do GL work is TOTALLY different from designing one to play games.

Look at the Permedia2 and 3. Both will wipe the walls with ANY game card (including the GeFart3) in 3DS Max or Maya or really ANY 3D application. Yet their gaming speed and features are piss poor.

It's just a totally different card design. Matrox decided that since they were not making a professional 3D card, that they would not bother optimizing those functions AT ALL. nVidia, in their typical crackhead haphazard way, accelerated and optimized a few of those functions. Poorly.

Matrox has quiet specifically chosen their path, and the fact that it isn't the path you'd like it to be is moot.

Another point... if you can afford 3DSMax, you can afford a couple extra grand for a professional GL card. I don't know why these sites BOTHER doing these professional level tests on consumer level cards.

- Gurm

------------------
                            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by Gurm (edited 08 May 2001).]
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                            X