G400 overclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 overclocking

This may be a strange time to bring up overclocking the G400, it has been discussed before, but not recently as far as I can recall.

I've bought 2 replacement cards for my G400, a Powercolor Evil Kyro and a Radeon SDR.
    The Kyro's 2D was too poor compared to the G400, and I returned the Radeon SDR due to the G550 rumours.

As I'm back with the G400 I'm looking to maximize it's performance.
    I'm extremely surpriced by the overclockability of the core, mine's runnning at 185 MHz (a 48% overclock) with standard cooling, and I'm sure it'll go faster especially if I add a fan.
    The memory is my bottleneck, it's 6ns and can run at 180 MHz. Today I mounted some ramsinks which lets me run at 185 MHz (maybe a bit higher, but 190 was a no-go).
    I'll add a 80 mm fan to blow air over the core and ram sinks, and hopefully it'll go a bit faster still.

How far have you people been able to clock the G400 core ? If mine is any indication of average overclockability it really surprices me that Matrox hasn't introduced a G400 Ultra (or whatever they would call it). With core/mem running at 180/240 it could have followed the competiton for a while longer.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

I got my G400MAX to 185/245 but I can't play too long with that before it starts showing artefacts and craps out to the desktop.

180/240 is absolutely stable though, all with stock cooling, which is the tiny heatsink and the tiny fan.

I have never tried any asynchronous settings, but I have a feeling the core can do more than 185, as you said. 240 seems to be the max for the mem. It is after all only 5ns SGRAM rated for 200Mhz...
    When I was still a kid, my parents got me a Packard Bell. I've never been happier. Now it's degraded to a foot support.

Comment

175 core / 233 mem
      G400 32 MB DH 6 ns mem
      Used Powerstrip

CU Francis

------------------
      What was necessary was done yesterday;
      We're currently working on the impossible;
      For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...
      What was necessary was done yesterday;
      We're currently working on the impossible;
      For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
      - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
      - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
      - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
      - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
      - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
      (Server)
      - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
      - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
      - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
      - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

What d'you mean exactly when you say the Evil Kyro has poor 2D image quality? I mean does it get kinda fuzzy and blurry when running at very high resolutions?

Comment

No comment on the "Evil Kyro" - PowerColor is very much a "budget" board manufacturer (to put it poltely).

But Videologic's Kyro has extremely good image quality, considering they only rate the DAC at a max of 270MHz. Text is particulary sharp at high resolutions - the acid test.

Comment

I've got my G400 Max running at 220 mem, 165 core - stable, can go 230, 240, but get problems after a while and don't want to burn the card up!
            What do you want a signature for?

Comment

212 Memory and 159 Core. Thats with or without a Blue Orb and Ram sinks. G400 32MB DualHead 6ns RAM.

dsp
              1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
              512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
              MSI 845PE FISR
              8.4GB Quantum CR
              40GB Maxtor 5400
              MSI 40X12X48
              Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
              SB Audigy
              Parhelia (210/600)
              19" Dell P991
              Win2kPro
              Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Biggs:
                What d'you mean exactly when you say the Evil Kyro has poor 2D image quality? I mean does it get kinda fuzzy and blurry when running at very high resolutions?</font>
                Yep, that's it. And even at 1024x768 I can tell the difference between it and my G400.
                "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Damn, I was hoping Kyro would have at least decent 2D image quality at high resolutions. I wonder how the Kyro II would do but I have my gut feeling it would be the same.

Comment

Working...
                  X