OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL

What's the current state of the OpenGL ICD drivers? My current i740 is only supported well enough in Win98, so it would be a big improvement if I could use OpenGL in Win2000 (as I'm still going to buy a G4x0...). What if I wanted to use OpenGL with a TV? Can I do that?

------------------
    AMD K6-2/500 Mhz, A586B (Ali Aladdin V), 128MB 100 Mhz SDRAM, 20GB Maxtor DiamondMAX VL 20, Quantum Fireball EX6.4A, HP 9110i, Creative 32x mx, Intel i740 8 MB (laughter...), SB64PCI, Winbond W940C (or such, 10MB/s), Yakumo EN1570DO (15"), Mice, keyboard and stuff, Kenwood amplifier and stuff, Win98 (seldom), RedHat 7.0 (mostly) (sometimes also BeOS 5)
    Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

check http://dzeus.student.utwente.nl/g400 for info on some OpenGL bugs (on the driver bugs page)

OpenGL with a TV? in what way? as it clones the image from the monitor to the TV, so you can play games from TV ? Keep in mind that the G400 uses half of the total video memory for each output in Clone mode, so you'll have 16MB for the game in this mode (+ 15.8 MB AGP textures).

There's a bug in the drivers that will cause a glitch when playing OpenGL games to the TV as well, when you've got 'keep optimal refresh' enabled in the clone mode properties. This means that if you want to run your monitor at a higher refresh rate than your TV (60Hz for NTSC and 50Hz for PAL), you'll get this glitch (odd to explain, you can see the explanation of it on my site). To get rid of this glitch, either disable keep optimal refresh, or change the OpenGL settings in MTSTU to a different one (either custom - page flipping - always on or custom - block transfer. Both these settings are slower than the driver default's, but will get rid of the bug.

Comment

dZeus, I disagree.

"[...] Keep in mind that the G400 uses half of the total video memory for each output in Clone mode, [...]"
      I don't think so. It would be pretty pointless because the image information are identical, so the only thing to do is to "send" the image to another head.
      The win9x driver seems to make exactly that. Dxdiag shows all the card memory in clone mode but only the half memory in multi-display.

Greets,
      Yanee

Comment

you're right... I 'ass-umed' a bit too much here, as Rags would say

Thanks for correcting me... I will certainly remember this info

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by dZeus:
          OpenGL with a TV? in what way? as it clones the image from the monitor to the TV, so you can play games from TV ? </font>
          Well, I really don't know as I don't have G4x0... B) but I heard that Serios Sam has some kind of DH support, and as it's coded completely in OpenGL, I thought it's possible to display some OpenGL graphics in the TV too.

------------------
          AMD K6-2/500 Mhz, A586B (Ali Aladdin V), 128MB 100 Mhz SDRAM, 20GB Maxtor DiamondMAX VL 20, Quantum Fireball EX6.4A, HP 9110i, Creative 32x mx, Intel i740 8 MB (laughter...), SB64PCI, Winbond W940C (or such, 10MB/s), Yakumo EN1570DO (15"), Mice, keyboard and stuff, Kenwood amplifier and stuff, Win98 (seldom), Win2000, RedHat 7.0
          Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

Comment

With Dualhead Clone mode, both the G4x0 outputs will be the same (no special programming required for support, only usefull if you want to use a big-ass TV for gaming and such ).

Dualhead Multi-display gives 2 seperate outputs, of which both can be used for hardware OpenGL acceleration, but only if the application has been written to take advantage of this (serious sam is an example you mentioned. The full list is available from www.matrox.com ). I'm not sure if you can use hardware OpenGL acceleration on Windows desktop in DH Multi-Display mode by just dragging over some OpenGL applications to the second monitor/tv (I'll test that soon).

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 24 April 2001).]

Comment

Working...
            X