Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vincent said we should read it closely, didn't he ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vincent said we should read it closely, didn't he ?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">6/ OpenGL drivers
    The day Matrox develops cards specifically designed for the 3D Workstation market, it's evident that we will have the obligation to give more priority to the design of powerful OpenGL drivers.
    ...</font>
    this sounds to me as if they have plans to enter the 3D workstation market
    and that could be resulting in cards like the ones from 3D Labs, not ?
    (I'm not thinking about the Permedia here, btw)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">...
    However, based on our targeted markets, we cannot propose more powerful drivers at the moment
    ...</font>
    no contraction here

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">8/ Matrox evolution strategy
    Matrox will keep providing solutions for professionals and does not for now contemplates working on a card dedicated to hardcore gamers.</font>
    neither here

Close enough ?

Happy interpretation everybody,
    Maggi

[This message has been edited by Maggi (edited 21 April 2001).]
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Maggi,

who the h... is Vincent,
    and where would one find this article/interview/vomit/whatever?

Man , you talk in riddles

rubank

Comment

I've heard you can find it on this little known site http://www.murc.ws although I've not seen it myself.

Comment

I liked this quote that I found futhur down in Ant's article.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">We saw the G800, and we saw the stuff that they are working on past that.</font>

Joel

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Ant,

you mean matroxusers is still alive?

Comment

I think the answers were pretty straight forward for the most part. He addressed what he thinks will keep Matrox afloat, what Matrox's main markets are now, and under what circumstances the markets expand.

Rags

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by rubank:
              Maggi,

who the h... is Vincent,
              and where would one find this article/interview/vomit/whatever?

Man , you talk in riddles

rubank
              </font>

Sorry, Rubank

I thought it was pretty obvious.
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Now, Maggi, not everyone can read english clearly enough to get what is trying to be conveyed.

Rags

Comment

NO offense to anyone =P

Comment

Maggi,

the quotes you made could just as easily be interpreted as Mr. Vincent is making excuses for lackluster OGL driver development, and that "professionals" really don´t want or need the best possible drivers, even if Matrox could supply them.

No, I rather hope there´s some substance to the tech-report article.

rubank

Comment

I think what he said in that posting made some sense, especially when we see what Matrox appears to be doing lately (or more to the point.. what they DON'T seem to be doing.. ie a fast card).

Its pretty much what I've been feeling for several months now.. Matrox has no desire to please the gaming market. I know they wouldn't go for a stright 3D hardcore card, but it now even seems like they don't care about having reasonable 3D power in a card with dualhead and good 2D output.

Comment

Oh ye of little faith.

Joel
                        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Vincent said we should read it closely, didn't he ? </font>
                          Well, I just used the desktop zoom in WinME and I didn't see anything inscrupulous. Lots of pixelation, yes, but it looked okay

Jord.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

O.k,

read it (again: we had it in a couple of topics a week or something ago)
                            but didn´t find anything new.

In fact, what this guy says is in direct contradiction to the more recent blurb, I think (hope) he´s just blowing smoke.

It´s a "political speach", it could be interpreted in just about any way you like. And full of questionable statements at that.

If you need "kremlologues" to dissect company officials statements it´s plain ridiculous.

Boohh

rubank

Comment

Guys and Gals, this is very simple.

The HC gaming market is very small, R&D is very costly while the profits are small and the shelf life of the product is very short.

Think about the software insustry for a second.
                              If you compare photoshop and quake, ID and Adobe created two pieces of software, both companies put a lot of manpower and money onto their products. Quake sells for less than 100$ and (as one of the games with the longest shelf life) that's not for more than a year. Photoshop on the other hand sells for much more and lives on the shelf much longer.

There are more business oriented computers out there and more production oriented software.

Business oriented users need 2D more than 3D, they use 3D mainly for their screen savers. When they have to choose between eye candy (alpha blending, 3D etc.) and functionality (Dual/Quad head etc.) we know well enough what they'd choose.

Honestly, I have absolutely no logical explanation for Matrox's G800 fiasco (inside driver releases) and I see no reason for them to do that whatever their road is.

Anyway, at least they kept us from spending money while not repeating the G200 (I'm still pissed at them for that) story.

My current card of choice is the Radeon, main reason is the Vivo because this way I can watch Cable/Satellite-TV on my computer.

------------------
                              I like to con people, but I also like to insult them. What if I could combine the two, I would call it - Consult !

Comment

Working...
                              X