Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get DTS and/or Dolby Digital from my PC ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get DTS and/or Dolby Digital from my PC ??

Now that I have the new Matrox DVD player Software, what do I need to playback DTS or Dolby Digital from a receiver? Assuming the receiver has the decoder?

Right now I have a SB PCI 128. What is the minimum soundcard I would need, and what cable would I need to use?

Best bet (in case your receiver does have discrete analog 5.1 inputs but no decoder) would be a Creative SB Live! player/platinum 5.1

The player is cheaper, and for most users it will more than suffice (especially if you were happy with your current soundcard).

Alternatively, you could use a Hercules Game Theater XP (there's a thread here about it, don't know what's in there though).

If your receiver has a built-in decoder than it has at least a digital in, which means you could use all of the plus SB Live! player 1024, SB Live! Platinum (both without the "5.1", Videologic Sonic Fury, Terratec DMX XFire or, even cheaper, a Terratec 512i Digital.

If your receiver does have a buillt-in decoder and sound quality is your main concern and cannot be high enough, buy a Terratec EWX 24/96. It's more of a musician's than a gamer's card (lacking EAX and A3D), but it's signal-to-noise ratio is 96dB with 44.1kHz/16bit and with 96kHz/24bit it's 110 dB!

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

As this is a sound card related question, and Matrox doesn't make sound cards, this thread is relocated to General Hardware/Software
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
      X