Funky French stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funky French stuff

Since the information in the first post was good (before it turned stupid and got locked), I thought I would post the translation here for those of you too lazey to have a look.

Translation:

According to this post of the forum of PlanèteNews, Matrox would make many advertisements but also some denials. Here a digest of this post. First of all, the member of Matrox France wanted to point out the strategic policy of Matrox. Matrox, entirely deprived company, were created 25 years ago in Montreal by two engineers, Branco Matic and Lorne Trottier, with an aim of conceiving and of proposing solutions of total visualization. Thus, Matrox developed four quite distinct divisions which are: Broadcast (processors and cards), for video acquisition Imaging (processors, cards and development software), for the image processing, Network (Hubs), for the transport of flows vidéos and graphs and Graphics (processors and cards), for the display of these same images This strategy is certainly one of the fundamental reasons which tends to differentiate us from companies like Nvidia (manufacturer of graphics processors) or from ATI (manufacturers of processors and graphics boards), which are present only on the market of Graphics. Then, we learn that a new version of DualHead will be born (there were 3 of it since 1999 and the 3rd date of February 2001, one can thus conclude that from here the end of the year or the next year, a new version will come out). For Matrox, one of the factors of the fall of 3DFX is that this last was addressed only to Hardcore Gamers, and it is for that that Matrox is a little everywhere. Moreover Matrox sees many defects there: the cycle of launching and life of the products is 6 months, only a manufacturer of processors can respect this rate/rhythm; not a manufacturer of processors AND cards... The costs of launching are enormous (publicity, packaging...) Profitability is very low because of amazing investments in R&D. Here some information on its " financial health ". Matrox is a private company, functioning on these own capital stocks. Within this framework, no financial information can be revealed. I can nevertheless bring some precise details to you: Matrox was always advantageous since its creation; it is one of the reasons for which we never called upon investors Matrox works on stable markets and with very strong potential (multi-monitors, image processing, video acquisition via its various divisions) Matrox privileges customers stable and serious (OEM) and finally let us not forget that Matrox is today the oldest graphic company with 25 years of experiment and innovation. It is not finished. Concerning OpenGL, Matrox does not find yet a priority there... No alliance is to date possible. It is not envisaged today to come out a reduced solution RT2000. Solution RT2000 is a growing success and knew to arouse the interest of companies as APPLE which helped us to develop solution RT Mac. Solution RT2000 is positioned as a semi-professional solution of assembly. Its versatility and its great number of professional functions knew to fill at the same time the amateurs, the users informed and the professionals. As regards G800 and G550, I make a point of restoring a truth baffouée by many Web sites. The " G800 " was only one pure fabrication of Web sites which speculated in the functions and the name of the next graphics boards Matrox. As for the " G550 ", strictly no information relating to the name, the specifications and the functions was officellement confirmed by Matrox. The first site to have published these rumours was a Russian site...

Ali

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Ali:
    ... The " G800 " was only one pure fabrication of Web sites which speculated in the functions and the name of the next graphics boards Matrox. ...</font>
    The G800 name was more than speculation outside Matrox; the name appeared w/i their drivers.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yeah how did these websites get the G800 info inserted into the Matrox drivers? How did these websites get various people i.e. Amiga, various developers, John Carmack etc to mention the G800 by name?

Comment

Why does this article keep prompting TSB material? Kruzin, maybe you could just delete the offending posts so the topic can be discussed.

So now we've got G550 appearing in our drivers. I guess those Matrox engineers are just spending their time surfing the web looking for practical jokes to code in their drivers.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I'm with you, Xortam!

But it's time they at least tell their fans (at least under NDA for every MURCer ) what they have up their sleeves.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I think it would be easier for M to make business decisions without 'upsetting' MURCers because they 'knew' about stuff that changed.

You'll just have to wait to see what's coming... maybe harsh but certainly true.

Comment

Normally, NDAs are issued on a need-to-know basis. If Matrox started passing NDAs out like candy, it would be like them saying "This is between you and me and anybody else you might tell".

Comment

It was a joke, hence the " "

But I still think they should tell the world what they're up to - of course they should make their own decisions

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

They must be close. They have that interview on Tuesday I think. They wouldnt bother with an interview after being quiet for so long if they didnt have something to say.

Im not sure they will have a gaming card to be honest though. I would expect something with about MX performance for the G550. The G800 might be something different though.

Ali

Comment

Time for a little reminder me thinks ...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">fleecy moss . fleecy@amiga.com.

On Tuesday, Jul 25, 2000, Peter wrote:
                    >
                    > All well and good, but Matrox are really not that hot in 3D card land.
                    > nVidia kick their ass, and are a lot cheaper. Matrox are awesome for 2D
                    > manipulation (e.g., dual-head displays, etc., ), but for 3D, I severly
                    > question the decision. Maybe Bill G's deal with nVidia for X-Box meant they
                    > are out of the picture for other consoles/systems or something.

We had bets in the office about how this announcement would be turned
                    into another failure for Amiga.

We went upto Montreal and spent a whole day in their development labs.
                    We saw the G800, and we saw the stuff that they are working on past
                    that. They are going a very different way, placing a strong emphasis
                    on staying up there with Polygon Pushing whilst adding features that
                    make the 3D experience far more realistic - and no, it isn't more
                    polygons.

In addition, they have the best video hardware, something that
                    Amigans have demanded from us from the outset.

Some of the reasons why.
                    </font>
                    Found here ...

So, it was neither any website, making it up, nor was it discovered in some drivers.
                    The latter did only prove what we suspected, not ?

Cheese,
                    Maggi
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Thanks for the cleansing Kruzin or Ant!

Now Ant has posted this article on the front page, retranslated and formatted. This echoes what a few of use here have previously stated ... Matrox isn't targeting the gaming market directly, as its a small market relative to their traditional business/professional markets. I became interested in the G400 because of the DH capability and my desire to have simultaneous TV output. Matrox stated that they will continue to drive the DH market and that suits me fine. I think if Matrox continues providing PCI versions, this will give gamers the opportunity to continue to use Matrox for most of their work via a PCI card and place a dedicated gaming card in their AGP slot. I wonder how long it will take to deliver the PCI version of the G550 after the AGP version is released?

Comment

Working...
                      X