APCI shared IRQs & G450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APCI shared IRQs & G450

I just uncrated a Dell 420 workstation (W2K, dual PIII 866s) with a G450. The 2D performance doesn't seem to be as good as expected. I see from the sys mgt info that the 450 is sharing IRQ 18 with the onboard NIC. The BIOS setup shows both devices are assigned to IRQ steering using IRQ 9. Am I taking a significant performance hit with shared APCI IRQs? Dell claims that the 420 uses the PCI 2.2 bus-mastering standard which puts up to three devices on a single IRQ...

There is nothing wrong sharing IRQs under ACPI, but the IRQ should not be that high. According to Matrox, it should be <=15 to function best.

Comment

WHEW!!!! Nice one Turbo!!

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hey, I came across one of those the other day. A customer of mine was having lockups and Dell told them they had to use win2k. So I went to see what I could do with it. I ended up installing win98 using setup -pi to force it into the standard PC HAL and it works great now.

Rags

Comment

Turbo, Much thanks for the detailed reply! As predicted I am not getting anywhere with Dell Tech Support. Dell's approach seems to be limited to 'does it work?' Matrox is also not eager to tackle this perfmormance issue; they refer me back to Dell...

Anyway, I did look at the Intel Mobos. The OR840 looks pretty sweet. Where did you buy your case & power supply etc. for the 840? I may end up going that route...

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X