memory bridges and artic silver epoxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• memory bridges and artic silver epoxy

right i've got some ramsinks and some a.s thermal epoxy, now i just need to put them on my g400 max . however i have seen on the a.s website that the thermal epoxy should not come into contact with the memory bridges. how should i prevent the epoxy from coming into contact with the bridges, and if some does get on the bridges what are the effects?

thanks in advance

roadie
    Dell Inspiron 8200
    Pentium4m 1.6
    640mb pc2100
    64mb gf440go
    15" uxga ultrasharp
    40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by roadie:
    and if some does get on the bridges what are the effects?
    </font>
    [b]<FONT SIZE="+4">KORVSTUVNIG</FONT> I mean kortslutning! Öh whats that in English again? Well you will shortsurkuite (spelled wrong ) the card! Just be carefull when you aplie the epoxy (damn I'm drunk I can't spell anything right!) and you should be OK!

Please corect my spelling!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Watch it Guru, the MURC has been known to cite people who are caught PUI.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

OKai onlai In theise postes pleaser thaxkyou weary much!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Drunk Finnish person?

Never seen before!

Jake
          Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
          ----------------------
          Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

I think it's time to call in men like Greebe to answer roadie's original question.

As for PUI, been there, done that, usually never visited the thread again the day after

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

roadie,
              successful cooling rests upon the fact that the heasink and the chip should be as close to each other as possible, i.e. whatever compund you use the coating must be as thin as you can make it.

Hence, you can forget the "thermal" and use ordinary epoxy that won´t short your card when it runs down the "legs" - and it will.

Apply a thin layer onto the sink and twist it firmly into position.

rubank

Comment

Not trying to scare anyone but do be careful - I burnt a Radeon out doing exactly that. It took 2 days for the AS epoxy to leak far enough down onto the RAM's contacts to short them, and then I smelled something burning for 1/2 hour before finding what it was.

Obviously I didn't follow rubank's advice, and used too much epoxy...

Would you believe that I only use 3M thermal tape for RAM-sinks now?

Cory Grimster
                <A HREF="http://www.houseofhelp.com"TARGET=_blank>www.houseofhelp. com</A>
                <A HREF="http://www.2cpu.com"TARGET=_blank>www.2cpu.com</A>

Comment

The AS epoxy takes longer than the usual 5 min epoxy to harden.

Best known method (BKM) is to mix the two parts well and use a credit card or similar flexible flat surface to spread a thin even amount on the back of the heat sink.

Then let it sit for a couple minutes to the point that it sets up a bit and is not runny. You can then press it on the memory chip and it won't flow and run over the memory bridges.

If you want to be able to remove the heat sinks from the ram in the future mix some of the AS heat sink grease in with the epoxy. Up to 1/2 the volume of the 2 epoxy parts.

This will also increase the set up time of the epoxy so let this sit for awhile ( test it with a toothpick) or something similar before putting the heat sink on the RAM so the epoxy doesn't run all over the RAM bridges.

This mixture of AS epoxy and AS heat sink compound will be solid enough to hold the heat sink to the RAM but will allow you to remove the heat sink by prying with a thin knife blade or razor blade in the future.

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

"BKM"

Hmm where have I heard that before, Hay Paul, you must be working at Intel! LOL

Oboy
                    Time to make the wafers!
                    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
                    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

"BKM." "PUI." Too much inebriation going on around here....or is it abbreviation, or whatever I mean....
                      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                      Matrox P
                      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                      LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
                      X