What are G400 MAX Revisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are G400 MAX Revisions

What are the different REVISIONS of the G400 MAX?

When I asked Matrox they replied with
    "G4+MMDHA32GR - AGP 2X/4X compliant
    G4+MMDH4A32GR - AGP 4X support"

BUT a friend of mine tells me that those are model numbers, not REVISION. How
    do you distinguish the different REVs?

Here's what he says.
    "Hate to tell ya this Di but there is no way to determine version from the model/part
    # (in fact they don't really even call it a version change..those were my
    words).
    I still have my box and it has G4+MMDH4A32GR, and the box actually says
    AGPx4.
    This is what all the ruckus was about when the card first came out. Because
    when you in stalled the card and used any sys diagnostic it showed the card
    as only capable of AGPx2.

You have to keep in mine that when G400 was released AGPx4 had just been
    "approved" and there
    wasn't any hardware (ie" motherboards) that had it yet.

The numbers that you are showing below (g4+mmdha32, g4+mmdh4a32gr) aren't
    different versions they are different models.
    The G400 came with many extras, all of were different models.

You could get it with 16meg or 32 meg, with Dual Head & TV Out or without,
    with MAX or without (what
    MAX means is that this model used a higher GPU clock speed and faster bus
    (memory) speed.

It wasn't till Jan or Feb. of 2000 that enough stink had been raised that
    Matrox release (very quietly)
    the same card but was truly AGPx4. There were some other changes but I
    don't remember what
    they were.

I've been trying to find my old notes on this cause I know there was a way
    to tell the 2 apart. I think it had to do with where it was manufactured (Matrox had
    3 or 4 factory world wide producing this
    card). Mine says Ireland. This will be on the same sticker that has the
    model/part # both on the box and on the card."

So, again I ask, what are the different REVs. Which is the latest?

Thanks

I think you have to look at the actual print on the Printed circuit board itself. they are marked Rev A or Rev B.

I beleive rev B are AGP 4x

Vic

Comment

It's in fact the 4A part in the number that tells you it's a 4x agp version! (same on all g400's not just the max ver.)
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Why do you want to know? If it's for AGP 4x then it's the 2nd one you need, the first one's which are 'compliant' do not actually allow transfers at 4x

But, 2x with a G400 MAX is still...GREAT!

P.
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Let me narrow it down here. Are there any REVisions to the G4+MMDH4A32GR card?
          I've been trying to get one via Ebay and have had 3 sellers all with the G4+MMDH4A32GR tell me their REV:.

1. 906-04 REV: B
          2. REV: A
          3. Rev 206 MT03640

Which is the latest card?

What are all the progressive Revisions. Ya think there would be a master list somewhere with all the Revision numbers or letters for the MAX.

Versions are not revisions, or are they?

Like I stated above my friend has a G4+MMDH4A32GR but it does not have AGP 4X support, like it should. So to me that means that just getting any old G4+MMDH4A32GR is no guaranty that it is the fully realized MAX. That the correct REV must be had.

I AM CONFUSED!

Comment

Get any revision, it won't matter.

The only thing that will be different is one will do AGP 4X transfers and another part number won't. It's not a big deal and you WON'T notice a diff. anyhow.

Rags

Comment

The bottom line is, there are only two revisions of the G400, one without the '4A' in the part number and the other with it.

There are a dozen different reasons why a '4A' card might not run at 4X AGP, or even be shown as capable of it. For example if it's installed in a BX system which is limited to 1X and 2X. But as long as 4A is in the part number the card is the latest revision. Period.

Frank

Comment

if you look on the back of the board at the top there is some print next to the matrox label ***-** rev a or b. a=agp*2, b=agp*4, mine is agp*4 but stuck at *2 due to my rev4 k7m
                Dell Inspiron 8200
                Pentium4m 1.6
                640mb pc2100
                64mb gf440go
                15" uxga ultrasharp
                40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

OK. Another reason I was/am confused was because in "The User Guide for the Millennium G400 & MAX" under "Information we need" (if you're having problems) it lists

"Matrox card serial number, model number, *revision number*, bios number, driver
                  type and version and memory address at which card is installed."

It doesn't say revision letter but number.

I'm getting A and B revs in the G4+mmdh4a32GR
                  when I should be only getting Bs right?

And as far as Bobs G4+mmdh4a32GR, I'll have to ask him about his motherboard.

Sorry about the double post. I didn't post twice. In fact it wouldn't post it once. I got a '1% is not enough.....' error and netscape locked up. That was it. I turned off the machine. The reason I'm here now is to try and post it. Go figure. Is there anyway I can remove one of the above post?

I missed out on that 906-04 REV: B card. Got sniped at the very last second. My first time at Ebay. I've been looking to buy this card for a month now. If you hear of any be sure and post it here.
                  Thanks again

Comment

No need to apoligise for a double post! If you want to you can always delete it just press the edit "pic"!

------------------
                    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless..

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Matrox may have changed suppliers for one or more components, or slightly changed the circuit board layout. But functionally the A and B revisions of the 4A will be identical.

Comment

Now I have one g4+mmdha32 and one g4+mmdh4a32 each with the same exact REV.

" 906-04 Rev.: B " What do you all think of that?

The reason I am obsessed with this is because this will be the last video card I buy. Then later this yr. I will be buying my last motherboard (Asus CUSL2-C) and CPU (Pentium III 1GHz). That will be it for me so I want to make sure I get the very latest MAX.

I haven't heard from Matrox yet so will be listening to what you people have to say. You seem to be the only ones talking. Thanks

Comment

That is the revision number of the PCB only, not the entire card.

Those are both MAXs, and the one with the "4a" in the part number is the more recent one, which can do 4x tansfers.

Matrox does not publicly list PCB revision numbers. All you can go by is the part number.
                          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Matrox wrote me this.

There was an AGP 2X/4X compatible Millennium G400 MAX upon its initial release. This version was compatible with AGP 4X motherboards, but only functioned at the 2X transfer rate -- this was because we had no 4X motherboard to test on at the time, since they were not released yet.

Then we replaced this version with the 4X AGP Millennium G400 MAX card, providing support for the full 4X AGP transfer speed. Here are the part numbers for each revision:

G4+MMDHA32GR - AGP 2X/4X compliant

G4+MMDH4A32GR - AGP 4X support

It is common for graphics cards to be released and revised a few times. The
                            revision number should be printed on the graphics card card itself.

Note he says revision number. Not letter.

So I gather "2x/4x compatible" just means it can be safely installed on a 4x mainboard period. It is NOT 4x capable at all...no way, no how, not ever no matter what.
                            Am I reading that correctly?

Cuz I have been told by a few sellers now that if I had a motherboard with 4x support that their G4+MMDHA32GR (AGP 2X/4X compliant) cards will run at the full 4X AGP transfer speed.

Seems I'm not the only confused soul out there.

Comment

The 2x/4x models can be safely run on a 4x mobo, but can only reach 2x transfers.

Basically, as of this date, any G400 card is operationally compatible with any 4x mobo (wether it is a 2x G400 or a 4x G400).
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                              X